Android app version number and approval button missing

Tomb_PCNPA
Conversationalist

Android app version number and approval button missing

We've just noticed that the app version number and the app permission approval button are missing from all of our Android apps in the Meraki console.  Pretty sure they were there last week as we often go into the console to re-approve app permissions.

Switching to the new console style and back again didn't yeild any results, nor did trying other browsers (we use Chrome normally) 

We can still add new Android apps to Meraki and puch them out to devices, but can't be sure if we have the latest version of an app available to us.  Interesting when we follow a link to open the app in the PLay Store you don't see the version number listed there either.  The only way to reliably see app versions are from the devices app list themselves.

Has anything changed in the way that Google updates apps through Meraki. or any suggestions.

Thanks.

6 Replies 6
BillBo
Here to help

We're working with support currently on an issue with Apps not pushing out, and they've confirmed it's been removed due to "it no longer being a requirement by Google", whatever that means.

MattMorg
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I am glad you have noticed! There has been a change under the covers with how Android apps are being controlled/pushed out via SM. SM now integrates with new Google Play Store APIs, and this will mean SM can use the latest APIs from Google which has many advantages for SM to improve in Android app installs. The entire SM > Apps UI for Android will actually be changing in the next few weeks. And yes, no more 'Approve app' action is needed before deploying Android apps so that button has already been removed.

We talked about this briefly in this new-features announcement: 

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Feature-Announcements/Systems-Manager-iOS-16-and-Android-13-support-... 

For the app versions not being reported now: I am seeing the SM > Apps page not reporting any version too, however on individual devices we can still see the app versions installed. Since the Play Store will always push the latest version, this may be expected now, but I have engaged internally about this behavior. We could probably set the SM > Apps page version to be the latest Play Store version to match. Thank you for this feedback! 

Tomb_PCNPA
Conversationalist

Thanks for the replies.  Glad to know I wasn't going totally mad.  I'll read up on the changes.

I presume if you no longer need to approve an app in SM then we can remove the email notification setting in the managed Play store that alerts us when apps have modified permissions and need re-approving.

BillBo
Here to help

Thanks Matt. Could this be why we're suddenly not able to deploy apps to our Android devices? I have a ticket logged (Case # 08590803) currently regarding this but not getting any progress...

Interesting, thank you for sharing the case number @BillBo. I would be curious if this command "Reset AFW Account" resolves the problem you're seeing ("Administrator has not given access to this item" in Play Store) for a single device: 

Reset AFW Account.png

This will reset the device's local Play Store account, which should reset its access to apps. Please share the results into your support case and we will continue monitoring/tracking. 

Thanks, fairly sure I did try that previously. Did it again, no change sadly, app status on phone on Play Store remains “This item isn’t available.” and bulk of apps remain missing. Have updated support case with this info as well.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels