Android APK not installing when large. Dasboard indicates success?

BartArtanim
Comes here often

Android APK not installing when large. Dasboard indicates success?

We're trying to use Meraki and the Meraki SM app to deploy an APK (a private app) to our tablets to run in kiosk mode. 

The specific tablets run Android 8.1.0, and the app runs fine on it when installed through ADB. 

An initial attempt worked great. The app appeared and functioned as expected in kiosk mode. This was a skeleton app however (around 40MB in size) and the app has since been updated with content bringing it up to 420MB in size. When uploading this version the app no longer installs.

It fails to auto-update. We've left the tablet overnight wondering if it was just slow when updating. That wasn't the case. When forcing the update this fails as well. What's more, it seems the SM app often crashes during this process. (Enough for Android to complain about a problematic app)

Once again, the app functions fine when installed through ADB, no matter the size. We have had success stripping a bunch of content from the app to make it smaller, but non-functional. It then installed just fine.

Is there a size limit to how large APKs can be for the SM app to function correctly? Is there something obvious I'm missing about the app update procedure?

1 Reply 1
BartArtanim
Comes here often

I have just tried this on a batch of more recent tablets (Samsung Galaxy Tab A8, running Android 11) and I still have the same issue. Manual installation of the APK works just fine, but trying to deploy through Systems Manager never actually works, even though the online logs appear to indicate "Success". 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels