ADB install of Systems Manager

NickCalcutti
Getting noticed

ADB install of Systems Manager

i Followed this

https://documentation.meraki.com/SM/Device_Enrollment/Enabling_Device_Owner_Mode_using_Android_Debug...)

and i cannot get My Lenovo Tab 3/4 Tablets to do the AFW#MERAKI during enrollment. I know someone else had an issue and i have looked on Reddit as well and some people say they have done it and i have a support ticket (which is taking them awhile to get back with me one) Wondering has anyone else had this issue and got it to work

When i followed the directions from the Manual i get this error

C:\Users\calcuttin\Downloads\platform-tools_r28.0.1-windows\platform-tools>adb shell dpm set-device-owner com.meraki.sm/ .DeviceAdmin

usage: dpm [subcommand] [options]

usage: dpm set-active-admin [ --user | current ]

usage: dpm set-device-owner [ --user | current *EXPERIMENTAL* ] [ --name ]

usage: dpm set-profile-owner [ --user | current ] [ --name ]

usage: dpm remove-active-admin [ --user | current ] [ --name ]

dpm set-active-admin: Sets the given component as active admin for an existing user.

dpm set-device-owner: Sets the given component as active admin, and its package as device owner.

dpm set-profile-owner: Sets the given component as active admin and profile owner for an existing user.

dpm remove-active-admin: Disables an active admin, the admin must have declared android:testOnly in the application in its manifest. This will also remove device and profile owners

Error: Invalid component com.meraki.sm/

6 REPLIES 6
NickCalcutti
Getting noticed

so stupid fix in the meraki Documentation there is a space from com.meraki.sm /.DeviceAdmin  this is incorrect . Remove the Space

adb shell dpm set-device-owner com.meraki.sm/.DeviceAdmin

and you will get this

C:\Users\calcuttin\Downloads\platform-tools_r28.0.1-windows\platform-tools>adb shell dpm set-device-owner com.meraki.sm/.DeviceAdmin
Success: Device owner set to package ComponentInfo{com.meraki.sm/com.meraki.sm.DeviceAdmin}
Active admin set to component {com.meraki.sm/com.meraki.sm.DeviceAdmin}

if you have an account already on there you will see this error message

C:\Users\calcuttin\Downloads\platform-tools_r28.0.1-windows\platform-tools>adb shell dpm set-device-owner com.meraki.sm/.DeviceAdmin
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Not allowed to set the device owner because there are already some accounts on the device
        at android.os.Parcel.readException(Parcel.java:1692)
        at android.os.Parcel.readException(Parcel.java:1637)
        at android.app.admin.IDevicePolicyManager$Stub$Proxy.setDeviceOwner(IDevicePolicyManager.java:4731)
        at com.android.commands.dpm.Dpm.runSetDeviceOwner(Dpm.java:148)
        at com.android.commands.dpm.Dpm.onRun(Dpm.java:96)
        at com.android.internal.os.BaseCommand.run(BaseCommand.java:51)
        at com.android.commands.dpm.Dpm.main(Dpm.java:41)
        at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit.nativeFinishInit(Native Method)
        at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit.main(RuntimeInit.java:262)

@CameronMoody see note above about typo in documentation. Cheers!

Caroline S | Community Manager, Cisco Meraki
New to the community? Get started here

@CarolineS @NickCalcutti

Hey @NickCalcutti,

I inspected the page and there doesn't appear to be a space.

It looks to be "adb shell dpm set-device-owner com.meraki.sm/.DeviceAdmin" in step 8, as you wrote above that it should be.

Maybe it's an HTML/font kerning issue that made it appear that way? Or maybe I'm not looking at the right part?

I promise there haven't been any edits recently!

Cameron Moody | Product Manager, Cisco Meraki

looking back at it you are correct /. on the PDF looks like a space but if you took a rule to it it lined  up so yeah it was my eyes deceiving me

Jacobs_02
Getting noticed

ensure that lenovo and the version of android installed support it, we have had various android devices that don't allow it only because the setup wizard or other features were excluded for an unknown reason.  We have been very particular on testing new android devices now and we love using device owner mode. Can't wait for a few more updates so we can ge to zero touch deployment with Android like DEP and iOS

-Jacob

@Jacobs_02it is supported but android version but i think lenovo just like being difficult on some things. we also have samsung tab A's that worked amazingly and also did the same thing to my galaxy work phone and was great. feel like i was doing systems manager wrong the whole time

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels