4K Video

Tom_FF
Conversationalist

4K Video

I have some concerns regarding internet traffic with upcoming Youtube 4K Video playback on Apple Safari. Since we do not generally block Youtube on our art school campus due to creativity purposes, it would be good to have the ability to block 4K content on certain common SSIDs. Is this already possible via Meraki network management or could it be provided in the future? Any other hints?

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You can traffic shape/limit youtube throughput on MR or MX. I supose it will play lower resolution when you do this 

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Firewall_and_Traffic_Shaping/Traffic_and_Bandwidth_Shaping

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

First; I am gobsmacked that Safari doesn't support 4k content yet.

The solution proposed by @ww  is a good option.  The HTML player will downshift quality automatically if there is not enough bandwidth.

However, if you do nothing this will also happen if your Internet circuit experiences congestion.  If you are not experiencing congestion then you will be able to experience 4k - which I would have thought would have been a plus for your use case.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Thinking about this further @Tom_FF ; I think I would approach the school about getting a larger Internet circuit (or a second one and load balance if that is more economic).

Otherwise, it's like an Art school limiting the quality of artistic creation.  Something about that just doesn't seem right.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels