Local DNS Server for MX / MS Devices

JustinBennett
Here to help

Local DNS Server for MX / MS Devices

As we try to get customer off on-premise servers, having DHCP and DNS hosted locally is key to making that occur.

Both the MX and MS devices can host DHCP server for local subnets, but public DNS servers are the only alternative in getting customers server-less and completely cloud-hosted.

Local DNS isn't as essential as DHCP, but makes local resources easier to manage on a client network - like printing. I've been able to use DNSmasq on other linux based routers/firewalls to accomplish this. It would be nice if Meraki integrated a simple local DNS server option. 

Thank you!

Justin

2 REPLIES 2
rellek
Comes here often

Hey Justin. Stumbled across your post.

Having a similar need... I am (have) set up a local dns server using BIND(9). This was pretty simple. The hard part now is getting this to dynamically update, rather than adding in all the entries manually, so as dynamic IP devices connect to the network, the dns records get added/updated.

It would be great if the MX device could update the DNS server somehow. I'm still working on ideas. Had you been able to implement anything on your quest?

Thanks.

Hi @rellek 

I have yet to find anything simple and server-less that would suffice to offer my clients. For the time being, Windows DNS services on a dedicated server is the only solution that would be acceptable.

It's sad because I've found competitors and open-source solutions offering this on their firewall appliances.

Justin