non licensed extra hardware shutting down entire network

MrJeff
New here

non licensed extra hardware shutting down entire network

This morning, I woke up to pure dismay.

We had an old MX 64 test switch.  I had brought it to one location and decided not to use it.  I had added it to my organization, but never transferred the license from my 1st Org.  (we have 2 orgs we need to resolve this).

Anyhow, I ignored the email warning because I never thought it would brick my entire network for one device.  The logical assumption is that it would disable the one device.  

I am extremely upset with Meraki right now.- the nerve !!  

I guest my question is :  Was Meraki action the correct action technically speaking, and is this a recent change in policy ?

14 Replies 14
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Primarily, you should be upset with your e-mail handling where you ignore the most critical mails where it is clearly stated what will happen.

MrJeff
New here

Here is the wording of the warning email.  In no way does it genuinely indicate the entire network will cease to operate.  And the link sent above is an explanation after the fact.

Thank you for being a valued Meraki customer. Our records show that your organization is over the device limit for your Meraki Cloud license.

If you wish to continue using your Meraki networks, you must renew your license immediately. If you choose not to renew, your Meraki systems will cease to provide network access on August 25, 2023. If you have recently made a Meraki purchase, please add your license key to your Dashboard account.

Licensing information can be viewed here: XXXXXXXX

To purchase additional licenses, please contact Meraki Sales or your authorized Meraki reseller. You can find contact information at meraki.cisco.com.

Please let us know if you have any questions. A license expiration FAQ is also available on our website.

Regards,

The Cisco Meraki Team

So in the wording "your Meraki Systems", I think a reasonable interpretation would be that the units in question would cease functioning, which I was fine with.

So I 100% disagree with the several commenters above.  

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I think it is quite clear. But with something so important, you better have asked about the consequences. But anyhow, now you know how to handle this in the future.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What happens when I reach my co-termination date?

Immediately after reaching your co-termination date, you will receive a 30-day grace period as per Meraki Co-Termination Licensing Overview. You can purchase a renewal through an authorized Meraki partner (see Meraki Licensing - License More Devices vs Renewal). If you chose not to renew before the end of the 30-day grace period, the organization will be "shut down"(License Problem - Out of Compliance). You will no longer be able to manage your devices via the Meraki cloud and your Meraki network devices will cease to function. This means that you will no longer be able to configure or make changes to your Meraki network equipment, and your Meraki network products will no longer allow traffic to pass to the Internet. With Systems Manager networks, you will no longer be able to enroll devices or change settings for currently enrolled devices.

Meraki makes this very clear, it was your mistake.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

As others have said above, it it's entirely expected.

My 2 cents:

Whilst I do see there would be logic in only disabling devices which are in overdraft, it then would require some sort of logic to decide which devices are taken offline. Additionally, if it's a switch license that's in overdraft, it going down could take down all of your attached AP's, or your core network etc.

While it might save done parts of your network from outage, it becomes messy quite quickly and may not be entirely obvious to the network admin what the problem is.

The easiest way (arguable whether objectively the best or not) is to bring everything down which will certainly tell the network admin there is something going on and to check the dashboard immediately.

It feels you are just trying to justify this predatory behavior.  Its really completely off the rails to take such action.  I I have never seen anything like this.

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I would also ask the company that consulted you with the decision to buy Meraki as this behaviour is clearly documented. They really should have told you this.

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

BTW: If I and the others sounded rude with our statements, this was probably not the intention. It is more of a hint to come here *early* and ask for help if in doubt about anything. If you came here *before* this, many people in this community had directly shouted, "Attention! You have to act quickly" to ensure nothing will happen.

Thank you for the comments.  I am going to do my best make sure Cisco management knows about my personal opinion.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Let me take a different tack.

Imagine a customer of the company you work for was continuing to use services by your company but choosing not to pay for some of them.  Your company repeatedly reaches out, letting them know that if they don't bring their account balance up to date, their account will be suspended.

They ignore all messages.

Eventually, your finance department will have no choice but to suspend their account, preventing them from using any service they currently have with your company.

I would respectfully submit that this track you specify doesn't make sense for the following reasons :
- I merely did not renew license for the device that expired.  I never financially agreed to renew it.  Its not like I bought the license and then didn't pay for it. i.e. I have no outstanding invoices or payments due to Cisco or any of its resellers.

- The one device (which was not even powered on in the last 3 months) could have easily been removed from my inventory, which is obviously what I expected.

This is like someone buying a Tesla, paying for a software upgrade for say, heated seats, then not renewing it, and the entire car stops functioning.  

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

This is called subscription, and most vendors work this way, Maraki, Palo Alto, Fortinet, etc.

Welcome to the new times.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@MrJeff you can easily remove the unused item from the network it is in and leave it in the inventory.  You would immediately see the red warning on the dashboard disappear and know all is well.

If you change from co-term mode to per device licensing mode then this will not happen, unless you need to keep using a device that you haven't paid for as it only disables the unpaid device.  Perhaps that is the best way forward for you?

With a co-termination organisation you have agreed to pay for all devices that are in networks and in your case you have failed to do this, so the organisation was put into a suspended state.

I do feel your pain, but unfortunately the best way forward is to do as Google say, 'fail fast', and move on.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.