Send Youtube url to TV from Android

Heerscher
Here to help

Send Youtube url to TV from Android

Hi everybody!

I am the proud owner of an MX67, MS120-8LP and an MR33. I am using this gear in my house at the moment and am experiencing a strange issue.

Before I implemented the Meraki gear I did not have this issue. But since I have the Meraki gear I can't cast a youtube video to my Samsung TV bij tapping the cast icon in the YouTube App on my Android OnePlus 6T. Let me be clear. The TV can be detected by my Android, so I can choose to send the youtube video to it, but once I choose to send it by tapping my TV in the list, it keeps on "Connecting" forever. The video will never be played on the TV unfortunately.

Can anyone help me?

My topology is simple.        MX67 Firewall

|              |

MS120        Dumb-switch

|       |                  |           |

MR33  Desktop     TV       PS4

:

OnePlus6T

The Meraki equipment is all located in VLAN 1 for management purposes. Alle client devices go into VLAN10:

MX67 --> Dumb Switch = Access port on MX67 in VLAN10

MX67 --> MS120           = Trunk with native VLAN1 and Allowed VLAN = All.

Some help is appreciated! By the way I am running a linux only home-network. So my Desktop is a Arch linux system. There is nog .local domain used. It's .localdomain on linux.

25 REPLIES 25
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

Does the tv respond in any way?

No, there is no respons at all. The TV itself is able to access the internet (netflix etc)

I think what might be going on is that the TV's broadcast/multicast announcement messages are sent to the wireless network without issue, which is why you can detect the TV from your OnePlus.

But the other way around is blocked in the Wireless > Firewall & traffic shaping section for the SSID your One Plus is connected to. Can you check whether the wireless clients are allowed to access the wired network?

2019-04-10 15_08_47-Greenshot.png

@BrechtSchamp sadly you are wrong. I had already thought about this too. The settings are the same as your screenshot:

2019-04-10 16_17_22-Firewall & traffic shaping - Meraki Dashboard.png

Darn it 😆!

Then the other suggestion would be a good next step (to connect it to the MS or wirelessly to the MR). That way you can see if it's an MX problem.

I have a similar setup and I use the feature on my Samsung TV as well, but my TV is connected wirelessly. Didn't experience any issues yet.

MarcP
Kind of a big deal

Some settings in the MX´s firewall, which could block the traffic, as the TV is behind the dumb switch?

Screenshot seems to be the MR FW

Assuming the TV is actually getting an IP from VLAN 10?

Is it possibly to bypass the MX and connect the dummy switch directly to the MS, then try?

You could try some packet captures on the MX side, and see what is coming in from your phone, and what isn't going across to the port the dummy switch.

Looks like that 'cast' button on your phone is using multicast:

https://developers.google.com/cast/docs/discovery

The MX doesn't support multicast in a true fashion, but maybe if you enable the MX Bonjour Forwarding features as a test, just to see if anything changes.

It is located under the Firewall settings
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

@NolanHerring wrote:

Looks like that 'cast' button on your phone is using multicast:

https://developers.google.com/cast/docs/discovery

The MX doesn't support multicast in a true fashion, but maybe if you enable the MX Bonjour Forwarding features as a test, just to see if anything changes.

It is located under the Firewall settings

That shouldn't matter if the devices are in the same subnet (assuming indeed that that is actually the case).

Agree, and I have a hunch it would work just fine if the dummy switch was connected to the MS switch directly. I have a feeling the MX is the problem, so I figured it was worth a shot 😃
TwitterLinkedIn

@NolanHerring 

I will try to bypass the MX tonight at home and put the results here....

@Heerscher  Would you mind testing the Bonjour Forwarding first, just because I'm curious 😃

And thanks !

Let us know how it goes

TwitterLinkedIn

I just skimmed this quickly... I've been doing a ton of work with Chromecasts lately so I'll throw this in here. If the cast button appears then you are able to see the mDNS advertisements (or receive query responses) so that part appears to be working correctly. But if you cannot cast to a device that appears in the casting list then this is unicast traffic from your client device to port 8008 of the Chromecast. I would be verifying L3 connectivity between your client devices and the TV at this point.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Have you configured the SSID to run in bridged mode?

Hi guys! I have tested something new just now. Let me explain.

Previous situation:

MX67 Firewall

|              |

MS120        Dumb-switch

:

OnePlus6T

All Meraki equipment is in VLAN 1. Alle other devices (TV, Desktop, WLAN-clients etc) Are in VLAN10. There is a trunk between the MX67 and the MS120 with native VLAN1. Also between the MR33 and the MS120.

NEW SITUATION:

MX67 Firewall

|

Dumb-switch

|              |

MS120        Dumb-switch

:

OnePlus6T

MX67 --> MS120 = Access ports in VLAN 10 (MS120 has IP in VLAN 10)

Still no casting from Phone to TV.

Addendum:

I replaced the MR33 with an Aruba IAP-207. Still no youtube-casting. So it's not the AP. It also can't be the FW because I put the dumb-switch between the devices...So it must be the MS120....

And what if you connect the AP to the dumb switch? Or as stated previously if you connect the tv to the MS?

cta102
Building a reputation

Can the wired machine cast to the Samsung TV?

I also point to Philips query as to whether the SSID is definitely not running in NAT mode (it's good to have solid confirmation of such things.)

I will be honest and say that I have issues with anything that runs Samsung versions of Android as Samsung have a habit of adding their own 'improvements' that only Samsung could ever consider an improvement, but it's what they do and they are too big to argue with.

Bitter experience has taught me to check for where Samsung they diverge from other peoples specifications (TiVo are another company do the same thing, their products don't quite behave the same as a genuine Chromecast does.)

Provided you are in Bridge mode and you have everything on the right VLANs it tends to work when using Meraki devices (*** see caviat below)

I mention the following as I haven't simply once added a ChromeCast and sent stuff to it.

The YouTube display devices I have tested so far are Chromecasts, XBox One, RPi running Android and the current model of TiVo (the small one) and the stream initiators have been Windows, Linux, Apple Mac, Android (both phones and an Raspberry Pi(s) running Linux and Android) and an iPhone.

*** However the TiVo has always been horrible, it's always visible but simply hangs about 30% of the time you send a stream to it and it's a bit worse when using a multicast reflector (fails about 60% of the time) regardless of client source, network infrastructure or method of network connection (wired or wireless.)

I did spend time setting up a 2nd VLAN and creating a multicast reflector to permit discovery and casting between VLANS them, the Chromecast worked like a dream, the TiVo was even less reliable than normal (it was visible but wouldn't actually stream the video more than 50% of the time) and the XBox One (unusually for a MS product) had absolutely no issues.

I got it working by connecting my phone's Youtube app to my TV's Youtube app with a code. It can be done in the settings of both Apps. After that it works like it should.
peto
Getting noticed

hi, but it doesnt solve the original problem

True,

And I have an addendum to that.

I connected my TV via WLAN. Now it works like it should. So from WLAN to WLAN device it works....The problem must be in the switch or firewall.

cta102
Building a reputation

Have you considered getting a hold of a Chromecast and checking if that behaves properly?

It's really annoying as I am now running my XBox One and TiVo via wired connections and they work fine from my phone Wi-Fi (obviously) connected phone and I didn't have to do anything whatsoever (unless I put the Chromecast etc onto a different VLAN as I don't really like household appliances being on the same network as our 'proper' devices.)

I added a Google Mini last week (Easter discound in the local supermarket) and it also can startup netflix, youtube and other services the Chromecast without any issues.

kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

I know this is stupid to ask but what happens when you plug in TV through MS switch?

Enthusiast
MarcP
Kind of a big deal

I would recommend to connect it to the MS as well, or directly to the MX...

antonis_sp
Building a reputation

I was trying to figure out the same thing.

However I have the TV and clients (Android and iOS) connected on the wireless.

What finally solved the TV discovery was disabling multicast to unicast conversion.

Setting is in network-wide > general settings.

I would be cautious to use that feature due to the possible downsides
TwitterLinkedIn
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.