Possible to disable packet capture at the hardware level?

soomeGUy
Here to help

Possible to disable packet capture at the hardware level?

Call me paranoid but I dont like the fact that a packet capture can be run if someone got access to my meraki dashboard.  I use 2 factor but that doesnt protect against a possible security flaw someone exploits in the dashboard itself at some point.

Is it possible to disable packet capture in the hardware firmware so that no matter what a packet capture cant be done from the cloud dashboard?  I like everything else about the cloud management, its just this feature that makes me wary.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

No, it can not be disabled.

MilesMeraki
Head in the Cloud

This can't be done. This does defeat the purpose of cloud management IMO.  However, I'd recommend making a wish via dashboard, allowing someone to disable the packet capture from the local status page of a device could a good addition IMO.

Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)

@MilesMeraki wrote:

This can't be done. This does defeat the purpose of cloud management IMO.  However, I'd recommend making a wish via dashboard, allowing someone to disable the packet capture from the local status page of a device could a good addition IMO.

There is a lot more you can do regarding cloud management in addition to packet capture though.  Its quite an awesome feature, I have yet to use it but its nice that its there if I do.  However for more secure installations it would be nice to be able to shut it off at the hardware level.

Thanks for this suggestion, and you'll be pleased to know there is a feature request in the system already for this ability.  It is a good/valid request and you can expect it to come in time, but ETA is unknown.  The best suggestion is to keep making the wishes (best to make the wish while you're actually on the packet capture page in Dashboard so it gets properly categorized) and keep the feedback coming through your Meraki or Meraki Partner sales teams so they can also help prioritize.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.