Physical Stacking with MA-QSFP-100G-SR4.

RobinsonRoca
Getting noticed

Physical Stacking with MA-QSFP-100G-SR4.

I have a few of these QSFPs, and was wondering if I could stack MS355 Switches using the MA-QSFP-100G-SR4 SFPs.  I opened the Stacking and accessories data sheet, found here:

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Cross-Platform_Content/SFP_and_Stacking_Acce...

and it shows the MA-QSFP-100G-SR4 is only compatible with the MS450, but that would be on the Front side ports.  What about using the MA-QSFP-100G-SR4 in the 100G Stacking ports on the back of the MS355?  I want to physically stack a set of switches on 2 differnt floors using the MA-QSFP-100G-SR4 SFP, using the back side Physical Stacking ports.  The back ports at 100G, the QSFP is a standard 100G QSFP.  Why would this not work?  Anyone try this yet? 

2 REPLIES 2
GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

There is no official endorsement for that but physically Meraki classic MS switches just use QSFP+ for 40 G stacking on MS350 and below and probably is using QSFP28 for 100 G stacking.

You can also uplink switches to each other using the connectors on the back before they are even configured as a stack, so one has to assume they are regular ports and stacking is a little more software based in contrast to the custom connections a Cisco Catalyst switch would use in it's stackwise technology.

So I would lean towards the possibility that you could physical stack these switches using regular QSFP28 100G modules and fiber cable between them.  However it's not supported in the documentation so someone will have to test it and see if it works and keeps working 😉

Agreed, I was thinking the exact same thing, I was just hoping that someone else out there may have tried it before I put skin in the game.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.