New Topology Icons: I Don't approve

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

New Topology Icons: I Don't approve

Today Meraki have released a new family of topology icons (for use in Visio and diragrams).

https://meraki.cisco.com/blog/2018/12/our-topology-icons-speak-volumes/

The problem is - the icons are not like existing Cisco icons, and are not intuitive.  I hid the names from some of the icons and asked some of my Meraki guys, who use Meraki kit everyday, what they symbolise.  Nobody got the right answer.

For example, without looking, what does this symbolise?

mx-ha-pair.png

Your thoughts?

7 REPLIES 7
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

A searchable switch/firewall combo with power on?

That is a bit odd..

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

Heh, I was sort of close after looking at the blog post.  I think I like the green dot the least.  It serves no purpose that I can discern and won't translate to black and white documents well.

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
Welles
Building a reputation

First impression is —— firewall (because of the picture that resembles a brick wall). 

DCooper
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

In 2006 no one knew what cloud networking was... @PhilipDAth You know we pave new roads. 🙂

BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

Well the middle symbol is a router symbol, the right one firewall symbol. So it must be an MX, two for an HA setup. Not sure about the left symbol, maybe IPS or AMP?

But I see what you mean.

Uberseehandel
Kind of a big deal

@PhilipDAth wrote:

For example, without looking, what does this symbolise?

mx-ha-pair.png

Your thoughts?

I think I have something like that on my toaster (Dualit)

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
JamesL
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Thank you for the feedback. We are interested to hear suggestions from the Community about how we can improve our icons going forward. Please keep the comments coming!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.