Meraki firmware upgrade issues

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Meraki firmware upgrade issues

F85547AB-8787-41DE-A9CF-6671B5A55BBB.png

 Hi @pratikvyas , are you able to elaborate on the issues seen please as I’ve witnessed numerous behaviour recently when upgrading varying devices?

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
5 REPLIES 5
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@GiacomoS Adding to what @DarrenOC queried.  If a network was asked to upgrade during the window of the issue, but the equipment was switched off, will it upgrade when it reconnects to the Meraki cloud, or does it still need to be logged with support.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Update, support asked to try to rollback, wait 60 minutes and then upgrade again.  Can this be added to the Service notice rather than asking everyone to contact support!?!

GiacomoS
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hey @DarrenOC @cmr ,

Thank you for asking! 

To answer the first question, the firmware upgrades were effectively not happening during the window of the outage. @DarrenOC , could I ask what kind of bizarre behaviours have you observed?

@cmr re your question, it is possible that the unit will upgrade normally, since it would not have had an opportunity to do so before. I would still recommend to get in touch, as there may be inconsistencies on the Dashboard side though, irrespective of what is on the device. 

Let me know how you both get on!

Giac

Please keep in mind that what I post here is my personal knowledge and opinion. Don't take anything I say for the Holy Grail, but try and see!
Appreciate who helps and be respectful of every opinion and every solution offered.
Share the love, especially the Meraki one!
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @GiacomoS , recently tried to upgrade an MX68 from 16.x to latest stable release. It wouldn’t get past a pre-upgrade error of not being able to access cloud using 443.  Pushed it to 17.x instead which worked fine.

MS switches upgrading to 14.44.1 needing an additional reboot.  Had a stack of 4 switches (MS325’s) sat at flashing white for over an hour.  Power cycled them all and they all came back online and registered.

Seeing more of the notice that the firmware is up to date but not using the configured version. Additional reboot clears this.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
GiacomoS
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Thank you @DarrenOC ! I'm aware of that issue on 16, it takes various forms, so I don't feel comfortable in saying "yeah, just do this" without having a look at the network. Support can force schedule this though, so don't hesitate to get in touch if you are hitting any snag.

Re the MSs, that does sound a bit bizarre, I don't think I've encountered it so far, it would have been interesting to snatch out of band logs to see if there was anything bizarre. One thing that I will call out though, is that when you have stacks of switches there is a timer that gets triggered when you initiate firmware upgrades, that's designed to give enough time to each switch to upgrade before they restart, so it doesn't break the stack. It may be possible that all switches downloaded the upgrade promptly and were just sitting there waiting for the timer to expire. 

That last one, out of curiosity, does it happen on older models or even on current ones?

Thanks!

Giac

Please keep in mind that what I post here is my personal knowledge and opinion. Don't take anything I say for the Holy Grail, but try and see!
Appreciate who helps and be respectful of every opinion and every solution offered.
Share the love, especially the Meraki one!
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.