Meraki Device DNS/DHCP

MerakiLife
Here to help

Meraki Device DNS/DHCP

Hi All,

Just after some basic best practise and to see what everyone is doing out there.

Switches and AP's....Do you.....

Assign all devices with a static IP?

Use Google DNS for each device?

Or

Use DHCP for each device with DNS registration locally so you can see your device MAC and name in DNS?

or do you do a hybrid approach....

AP's on DHCP but switches on static?

Does anyone use IP address reservations for devices (Based on MAC addresses)?
Perhaps use 1 google address and one local for DNS?

We've also have Umbrella UVA's so should we use them?

OR doesn't it really matter?

6 Replies 6
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It really depends on your needs, there is no right or wrong.

I particularly prefer to set static IP for Switches and obviously for MX, for APs I usually leave it to receive IP via DHCP, but I usually set the IP in DHCP via Mac mainly when I work with 802.1x.

As for DNS, it depends on your company's policy, if using a public DNS is not a problem, go ahead, if so, use your internal DNS.
I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Assuming you're talking about Meraki devices and their management network, much of it personal preference.

I typically use DHCP as I'm not too concerned about the exact address they pick up and I can always check it's leased address on the dashboard.

For DNS I typically use a public DNS (Google or CloudFlare). I don't use Meraki NAT for any WiFi offerings, but if I did, I'd consider changing the DNS to a service that offers some additional protections.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>Assign all devices with a static IP?

Apart from L3 gateways, I never use static IP addresses for Meraki device management.  Switches, APs, cameras, everything.

Pure dynamic.  No reservations.

I do use reservations for things like printers.

>Use Google DNS for each device?

Sometimes I use internal DNS, sometimes I use public DNS.  I often use 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1, as I have had customers whose ISP lost connectivity to Google DNS, and it is a bit catastrophic, so I like using two different DNS providers.

van604
Getting noticed

do the same as @PhilipDAth no static IP except for printers

I use 208.67.222.222.and 1.1.1.1 split them up learned from the past when all on google dns barfed

van604
Getting noticed

do the same as @PhilipDAth no static IP except for printers

I use 208.67.222.222.and 1.1.1.1 split them up learned from the past when all on google dns barfed

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

why a duplicate answer?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.