List of support-enabled features?

Adam2104
Building a reputation

List of support-enabled features?

Does anyone have a list of all the support-enabled features you can have enabled via a case with Meraki? Personally I have the following enabled:

1. 2.4ghz-only SSIDs
  2. Disable MX flow_start and flow_stop syslog messages
  3. Firewall objects
  4. Inbound L3 firewall rules
  5. Disable wifi mesh

Some of these items caused me to spend many cycles trying to figure out what was wrong, or, how to do what I wanted. It'd be nice if there was a list of all the things support can enable for you so you don't end up spending time trying to figure it out.

7 REPLIES 7
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

This list would be amazing if it existed. I asked Meraki once for the list and the mafia showed up at my house and roughed me up.

Off the top of my head:

1. You can contact support to have them make the cellular firewall rules act for WAN2
  2. VPN subnet translation feature for site-to-site settings
  3. Disable 'uplink sampling' on switches (for when you connect to a non-meraki switch it won't show the clients across that link
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

@Adam2014 I don't disagree, I'd love to have such a list to share, but no such list and I'm sure there are several reasons. In many cases, the features are not necessarily mainstream enough and making them visible would either cause confusion, generate unnecessary cases, or clutter Dashboard in general with typically unused features. In other cases, new/beta features initially show up as Support-enabled features that are eventually made visible and provided in Dashboard by default.

There's no easy answer to the balancing act, when simplicity and an intuitive management interface is the true goal it's a real challenge to expose every option and feature, some of which might conflict or deviate from best practices. To your point, I'd love to have some of them visible by default all of the time, like the 2.4GHz only option you mentioned, that's self-explanatory enough that I feel there's no harm in leaving it exposed. The bottom line is to consult with your local Cisco Meraki team and/or your Partner resources (and this Community) to understand if there might be a Support-enabled feature that can address a specific use case or design scenario you're facing.
Nash
Kind of a big deal

Support can disable NAT-T on third party tunnels, on a tunnel-by-tunnel basis. Dashboard will not tell you which tunnel has been modified, but it will add a box warning on the Site-to-Site page.

Usually necessary when you've got a tunnel that's got a solid phase 1 but keeps losing its p2 agreements every 20-30 seconds. You'll see it fail over to trying port 4500, and once that happens, the only reliable long term fix seems to be disabling NAT-T on that tunnel. I've fixed multiple tunnels with long term recurrent instability this way.

Roger_Beurskens
Building a reputation

Maybe it would be nice to have a normal (current) and expert modus... where the expert modus can be enabled for community/expert users?

@Roger_Beurskens wrote:

Maybe it would be nice to have a normal (current) and expert modus... where the expert modus can be enabled for community/expert users?

I'm not sure how this would feasible to implement. That's a lot of extra development, on the dashboard end alone. I doubt there's a lot of people who would actually need it. 

If you need that level of control, another product might be the better solution for you, honestly. Part of the Meraki deal is to simplify.

I've also never had problems with calling support to request one of the odd options. I had to do so earlier this week, and even though the tech didn't realize it was an option at first, he was fantastic!

NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

While I mostly agree, I still think it would be nice if us 'vetted' contributors could at least have access on paper, to the list of features. The features must exist on paper somewhere lol.

Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn
Roger_Beurskens
Building a reputation

True... but do you have an other "enterprice" a-brand fully cloud managed full-stack option?

Sometimes a bit more controll or logging would be fine.
But until this moment i'm not runnign into any day-time issues. Only thing that would be handy would be mtu size for wan in the portal.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.