How do I export more than 30 items in the event log?

GrahamG
Here to help

How do I export more than 30 items in the event log?

Newbie question:

When I use the Event Log download feature, I am restricted to downloading only the events showing in the current view. The log view always shows no more than 30 items. How can I:

1. Increase the number of items shown in the log view
  2. download events matching the specified tags over a specified period (or specified number of events)?

30 items is extremely limiting!

Many thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

1. You can't.

2. You can use the filters at the top to show you only the events you care about, or remove the ones you don't. There's also a "Before" filter to go back in time, but that's about all you can do.

Your other option is to enable Syslog on the devices and send all the logs to a Syslog server. From there you can use your favourite log management tool to get done what you need.

Thanks jdsilva. This is what I was afraid of but I am disappointed. I would expect a cloud managed product this well established to not force one to go the way of a dedicated syslog server.
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

Try exporting your event logs to https://papertrailapp.com I think you get 100MB on their free tier.  They also have easy to configure alerts and integrations, etc.

*I don't work for them or anything, I just like their product and use it for a lot of purposes like this.

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)

Thanks, spankym

papertrail does look very cool. I'll have to look at the ToS closely as I am reluctant to expose my client's data to yet another service. Usually, even if the privacy statement is very comprehensive and acceptable, there is a get out of jail free rider associated with sale of the service to another entity.

Ahh, papertrail is a solarwinds company.

BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

I never noticed that until just now.  I was just looking at their "trust" page based on your previous comment: https://help.papertrailapp.com/kb/how-it-works/why-should-i-trust-you/

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.