Bizarre iPerf3 Result

Twitch
Building a reputation

Bizarre iPerf3 Result

Hey gang - anyone really good with iPerf? I'm getting a really bizarre result that appears to demonstrate that our circuit provider is throttling our speed over a site-to-site VPN connection. The connection is supposed to be 100 Mbps, with 1 Gbps within the network at either end. A screenshot of the iPerf3 result is below. Notice how it starts at 679 Mbps in our network, and then just plummets to roughly 30 Mbps over the site-to-site circuit. Repeated tests show the site-to-site circuit running in the teens on occasion.

The circuit provider claims we are not being throttled. I can't find anything in the Meraki gear on either end (MX100 and MX84) that would throttle the connection. We have had a network performance issue between these two plants for a while now, and repeated attempts to try and determine why have come back empty.

When I run the test over our new 100 Mbps VPLS circuit, I get an average of 94 Mbps end-to-end consistently.

Has anyone else seen similar results?

Thanks.

Twitch

This test is running from a domain controller at our other plant over the site-to-site to my workstation:

Twitch_0-1619541593369.png

3 REPLIES 3
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are you able to plug a notebook directly into the Internet circuit at each end, so that everything is bypassed, and repeat the test?  This will give you the most conclusive result.

Twitch
Building a reputation

@PhilipDAthGreat point. I'll have to try that during the upcoming downtime we have scheduled.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Also I would do both a UDP and a TCP test.  AutoVPN uses UDP mostly.

If there is no traffic shaping, you would expect them to get the same result.  If the results are different ...

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.