Airplay over different VLANs/Subnets

Holli69
Getting noticed

Airplay over different VLANs/Subnets

Hi,

we have some schools with the following situation:

- MX -> MS Layer 3 -> MS Layer 2 -> some MR46

The Layer 3 Switch is responsible for Routing, MX has only VPN and Firewall functions.

We have the following VLANs:

VLAN 10: Digital Whiteboards/TVs with Airplay

VLAN 20: iPads for teacher

VLAN 30: iPads for students

At the moment, it's not possible to share the screen(e.g. Youtube Videos) from iPads (VLAN 20 and VLAN 30) to VLAN 10 TV's via Airplay

My question is, if it's better to solve the problem via forwarding the Bonjour protocol on MR (Access Controll) or must I solve this with Multicast Group (VLAN 10,VLAN 20,VLAN 30 in one Multicast Group) ?

BtW: Is Airplay sending broadcast messages to all clients in the same VLAN/Subnet ?

4 Replies 4
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

I think you can just enable it on the MR: https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Client_Addressing_and_Bridging/Bonjour_Forwarding

Airplay should broadcast within it's own subnet/VLAN, yes.

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
Holli69
Getting noticed

I tested Bonjour Forwarding Configure->Access Control->Bonjour Forwarding, but it didn't solve my problem. On my iPad, I can't see the broadcasted Airplay display device for screen-sharing.

For my understanding, the Service VLAN is the VLAN where Airplay is Broadcasted, in my case VLAN 10 Digital Whiteboards/TVs with Airplay

If the display device is in the same Subnet, it works perfectly.

Do you know another solution, why it doesn't work in different Subnets/VLANs?

BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

In order to for Bonjour forwarding to work, the Bonjour client and server must have a routable path on layer 3 between them (i.e. they must be able to ping each other). 

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)

Yes, ping is possible in both directions and non of the VLANs are isolated

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.