snmpwalk: option requires an argument -- 'A'

bbaileyprts
New here

snmpwalk: option requires an argument -- 'A'

Sorry if this has been asked and answered i am not able to locate the topic:

I am trying to intiate a snmpwalk for some monitoring software I am attempting to configure and keep receiving the following error snmpwalk: option requires an argument -- 'A'

my command looks like

snmpwalk -v3 -t 10 -l authPriv -u o/username -a SHA -A 654321 -x AES128 -X 123456 -Ob -M +. -m +MERAKI-CLOUD-CONTROLLER-MIB snmp.meraki.com:16100 .1

Any pointers would be helpful!

4 Replies 4
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Your command seems to be correctly formatted.

Make sure there are no extra spaces in your command. Each option and argument should be separated by a single space.

Ensure that the passphrases for -A and -X are correct. They should match the passphrases configured on the SNMP agent.

If you’re still encountering issues, you might want to run snmpwalk with the -D option to enable debugging output. This can provide more detailed information about what snmpwalk is doing and where the problem might lie.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

I reran the CLI after adding a ' for the passphrase snmpwalk -v3 -t 10 -l authPriv -u o/username -a SHA -A '654321' -x AES128 -X 123456 -Ob -M +. -m +MERAKI-CLOUD-CONTROLLER-MIB snmp.meraki.com:16100 .1

and received the following output

./nohup.out: Permission denied (fixed by running as sudo )
Timeout: No Response from snmp.meraki.com:16100

You’ve already fixed this by running the command with sudo. This issue occurs when the user doesn’t have the necessary permissions to execute a file or command. Using sudo runs the command with root privileges, bypassing the permission issue.

No Response from snmp.meraki.com:16100: This error means that the SNMP request sent to snmp.meraki.com on port 16100 did not get a response within the specified timeout period (10 seconds in your case). This could be due to several reasons:

The host snmp.meraki.com is not reachable. You can check this by using the ping command.
The SNMP service is not running on the host.
The host is not configured to accept SNMP requests on port 16100.
Network issues such as firewalls blocking the SNMP requests/responses.

Is your Organization/Network configured to accept SNMP requests?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Monitoring_and_Reporting/SNMP_Overview_and_C...

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.