WebHooks rate limit?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

WebHooks rate limit?

Dashboard API calls are rate limited to 5 per second per organization.

What about WebHooks?  How many per second can be generated?

For example, I want to do bulk motion alert processing.  Would WebHooks be able to generate 1,000 calls per second?

5 Replies 5
chengineer
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Webhooks fall outside of the RESTful dashboard API limit of five calls per second per organization. In terms of motion alerts though, you'll see that similar to emails that webhooks are summarized, so you won't receive an alert for every second of motion, even if you set "Minimum event duration for trigger" to "1 second", for the same event.

Solutions Architect @ Cisco Meraki | API & Developer Ecosystem

If I had 20 cameras generating the alerts, do you think WebHooks is capable of producing 20 "hooks" per second?

I see the motion WebHook was updated to indicate if a person caused the motion.  Does it also indicate if an MV72 trigger a vehicle alert?

chengineer
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

It probably won't be all 20 cameras triggering in the same second, since it'll be delivered a while after the event happens, which depending on when each camera sees the motion could be offset by a few seconds. The motion event alert is independent of the objects seen by MQTT. What did you mean by "WebHook was updated to indicate if a person caused the motion"?

Solutions Architect @ Cisco Meraki | API & Developer Ecosystem

>What did you mean by "WebHook was updated to indicate if a person caused the motion"?

I thought I read somewhere that motion based webhooks had been updated to include info about weather the motion includes a person or was triggered by a person.  However I can't find that info now, so that now that looks doubtful.

I'm worried about the scalability of the webhook system.

I'm currently doing a trial with a retail store with around 20 cameras.  I was hoping to use MQTT with the snapshot API, but I wont be able to get it to scale.  I already exceed the 5 API calls per second and once the queue starts growing it looses all resemblence of real time.

I'm worried that if the trial is a success and it gets rolled out to the other stores I could be needing thousands of webhook motion detections being required per second.

The Meraki MV Sense system (with regard to MQTT and real time imaging processing) seems good if you just have one camera, or are just playing with it in your office, but the architecture just doesn't allowed it to be scaled up into larger commercial scenarios.

>What did you mean by "WebHook was updated to indicate if a person caused the motion"?

I found it.  This appeared in the dashboard.

1.PNG

It would be great to have an "Alert only on People or Vehicles" alert (for when using an MV72).

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.