SSL error in python

Solved
Adrian4
A model citizen

SSL error in python

Hello,

I am making API calls via python script in "Pycharm". Every call I make fails with 

requests.exceptions.SSLError: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='api.meraki.com', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /api/v1/organizations/xxxxx/networks (Caused by SSLError(SSLCertVerificationError(1, '[SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed: unable to get local issuer certificate (_ssl.c:992)')))

I can get around this by adding a verify=false header but I want to fix it properly.

I think I fix this with the header verify=[path to raw CA Bundle]  

is that correct? and if so, where do I get the cert bundle from?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

figured it out, the correct syntax is verify="path/to/cert.crt"

I used the cisco cert which i downloaded from the cisco API dashboard
https://developer.cisco.com/meraki/api/#!getting-started/obtaining-your-meraki-api-key

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I used this command to show the certificate being used:

openssl s_client -connect api.meraki.com:443 2>/dev/null | openssl x509 -noout -text

It shows the issuer to be:

Issuer: C = US, O = DigiCert Inc, CN = DigiCert TLS RSA SHA256 2020 CA1

So you would need to load in one of the Digicert root certificates:

https://www.digicert.com/kb/digicert-root-certificates.htm 

More info:

PhilipDAth_0-1677527068026.png

PhilipDAth_1-1677527082925.png

PhilipDAth_2-1677527096962.png

thanks!

Adrian4
A model citizen

😞 Im still having trouble.

I installed a few of the certs into my cert store which didnt work, so I then put them in a folder and just added a header in the code to point to it (I tried verify=   and cert=).

Still didnt work - Im not sure what to do next. I just get errors saying unable to get local issuer certificate (_ssl.c:992 

I spoke to support for Pycharm and they said the correct method is specified by the API and not pycharm 😞

figured it out, the correct syntax is verify="path/to/cert.crt"

I used the cisco cert which i downloaded from the cisco API dashboard
https://developer.cisco.com/meraki/api/#!getting-started/obtaining-your-meraki-api-key

I am using Windows and getting the similar error to yours:

requests.exceptions.SSLError: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='api.meraki.com', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /api/v1/organizations/xxxxx/networks (Caused by SSLError(SSLCertVerificationError(1, '[SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed: unable to get local issuer certificate (_ssl.c:992)')))

Where in the API Dashboard did you get the Cert?

I can user Postman with no SSL issue but I need to use Python for other scripts.  Can't get pass the SSL: error.

Thanks

HolgerS
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

@Adrian4 are you using a Apple M1/M2 Mac? Your python / pycharm environment could have an effect on SSL as well? Under normal circumstances you should not need to download Certificates for Meraki API

Holger Struckmann
CCIE #60154

Hello,
No, just plain windows.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.