Python dictionary to list

SOLVED
Fabian1
Getting noticed

Python dictionary to list

Hi everyone,

this is more basic python, but I stuck with this problem:

When I get the data of an ssid, the response is always a dictionary ('name' : 'something, ' number' : 22...) from Meraki which is fine.

But if I want to update the ssid, it has to be done in a form of name = 'something, number = '22'...

How do you convert this? 

I don't want to hard code the config, I just want to change one of the values.

Thanks and best

Fabian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Steinbep
Getting noticed

Re: Python dictionary to list

@PhilipDAthIs correct and this is probably the easiest way to do it.

A simple for loop through networks and ssids will get you through the data you need to change. Something like the below.

nets = meraki.organizations.getOrganizationNetworks(organizationId)

for net in nets:

ssids = meraki.wireless.getNetworkWirelessSsids(net['id'])

for ssid in ssids:

if ssid['name'] == "something":

ssid.update({'psk' : 'newpassword'}) # use the update() function when working with dictionaries. #

ssidChange = meraki.wireless.updateNetworkWirelessSsid(net['id'], **ssid) # the double * (**) will unpack the dictionary and allow you to post the full dictionary as the new variables. Be careful with this as you may get a return value that won't post.  

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal

Iterate through the dictionary and test each row for the value you are looking for (such as SSID) and then change that one row.

Steinbep
Getting noticed

@PhilipDAthIs correct and this is probably the easiest way to do it.

A simple for loop through networks and ssids will get you through the data you need to change. Something like the below.

nets = meraki.organizations.getOrganizationNetworks(organizationId)

for net in nets:

ssids = meraki.wireless.getNetworkWirelessSsids(net['id'])

for ssid in ssids:

if ssid['name'] == "something":

ssid.update({'psk' : 'newpassword'}) # use the update() function when working with dictionaries. #

ssidChange = meraki.wireless.updateNetworkWirelessSsid(net['id'], **ssid) # the double * (**) will unpack the dictionary and allow you to post the full dictionary as the new variables. Be careful with this as you may get a return value that won't post.  

View solution in original post

Fabian1
Getting noticed

The **ssid and ssid.update did the trick, this is awsome, thank you guys 🙂

Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.