Meraki Webhooks don't seem to be triggering?

SOLVED
WillGeorge
Here to help

Meraki Webhooks don't seem to be triggering?

I can push alerts from the postman collection through just fine, as well as the test event sent by the "send test webhook" button in the alert configuration page, but try as I might I can't get any *actual* events to come through.  Ripping cables in/out, graceful reboots, power cycling, combinations of the above including or not including the spare to trigger failovers, etc.

 

Events will show up in the event log for the correct network: 

 

WillGeorge_0-1592685878315.png

 

And I've tried enabling literally every checkbox in the alarm page

WillGeorge_1-1592686010900.png

 

But I can't seem to get a response.  Any ideas of what I could be missing?

 

Also, webhook function is marked "Beta".  How "Beta" is "Beta"?  Should I even be contemplating using this to monitor production networks?

 

 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
WillGeorge
Here to help

Solution came from Meraki support:  

 

I had defined the webhooks, but hadn't actually added the webhooks to the "default recipient list" as described in the docs here: https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Cross-Platform_Content/Alerts_and_Notificat...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
WillGeorge
Here to help

And to be clear:  When I say it's not sending alerts, I'm going off of logs from the actual webhook handler itself, and no HTTPS session is being created at all for real events (but "send test webhook" works fine, etc)

Are you using a public SSL certificate?

yep.  implementation detail is that this is fronted by Amazon API Gateway service.  For *now* it's just using the randomly generated domain names they give you,  and that all comes w/ solid certs.  Ultimately I'll be replacing that w/ a custom domain, but testing it as-is for now.  And in any case if the issue was related to that I'd have expected the "test webhook" button to fail as well, though who knows.

As a really quick test to ensure Meraki is sending the alerts, try using this test service to troubleshoot. 

 

https://webhook.site

 

If you receive alerts using the provided https url, then you can focus on troubleshooting your receiver setup.

Great idea! 

 

Still no luck using that site however.

 

the "test webhook" button works fine, but all other attempts to trigger an alert fail.  

 

Things I've tried:  

  * Cable pulls, power cycles etc

  * Trying right after applying the settings, and also 30 minutes later

  * Made sure (again) that the devices I'm messing with are in the same network I applied the alert settings to

WillGeorge
Here to help

Solution came from Meraki support:  

 

I had defined the webhooks, but hadn't actually added the webhooks to the "default recipient list" as described in the docs here: https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Cross-Platform_Content/Alerts_and_Notificat...

View solution in original post

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.