Meraki Power saving

deepika-n
Conversationalist

Meraki Power saving

As most of the offices do not work on weekends , we performed a (POC) to turn off Wireless Access Points from Friday evening to Monday Morning.

As part of this power saving POC,

1. I would like to know if it is a best practice to turning off the Wireless Access Points every weekend would lead to any Hardware damage / Hardware performance. If so please provide us the documentation regarding it.

2. As of now, in order to collecting the power saving records we are referring it from the Top switches by power usage daily report from the Cisco meraki via mail. If in case the report we can gather directly from Meraki dashboard would be great & guide us through.

4 Replies 4
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Regular heat cycles will cause greater device wear - but not to an extent I would worry about it.  Take those power savings!

In the top right-hand corner of the summary report, click on the email symbol to schedule the report to be emailed to you.

PhilipDAth_0-1722428058803.png

Alisdair85
Getting noticed

Hi, sounds like a great initiative and POC you are running, this is a space I have been working in for 3+ years in regards to powering off Meraki APs, Switches and other PoE PD's which has had zero operational impact across the some 10,000+ APs powering off daily. Some of these questions you have are captured in the below FAQ link my team and I have written up from this R&D experience. 

www.thisiscae.com/blog/frequently-asked-questions-about-wiserwatts

With regards to point 2, there is a much better way to report on the energy savings impact than using the 'Top switches by power usage' output, we generate this on a daily basis, example of this output below and which is a free of charge (read-only) API integrated solution on the reporting side. 

Alisdair85_0-1722430158633.png

Happy to answer any questions you might have as we have been working closely with Meraki PM/Engineering in this space since 2021. Feel free to ping me a message via LinkedIn!

www.linkedin.com/in/ali-mckeand-%F0%9F%9A%80-67b04245/

van604
Building a reputation

we have been doing this for at least two years now and there is some savings and have not noticed any additional wear and tear on the devices.  The biggest lesson learned is that multiple notifications needs to go out to let people know that the wireless is off on the weekends as there is always that ONE person that never reads it and makes a big issue that they cannot connect on the off hours.

RicardoD
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Have you checked this document? https://meraki.cisco.com/product-collateral/meraki-ms-sustainability-whitepaper/?file 

You can also use this API Endpoint to the power consumption of a switch port: https://developer.cisco.com/meraki/api-v1/get-device-switch-ports-statuses/

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.