Meraki Network Type

revanth
Here to help

Meraki Network Type

When a network is created I see there is an option to select the network type (example options are "Security appliance", "Switch", "Wireless"). This option seems to drive on what APIs are available for the network, for example, wireless API does not work against a network created with type as "Security appliance" and below is the error.

"errors": [
"This endpoint only supports wireless networks"
]

I have a use case to rollout wireless config to network before the device is claimed and added to the network, but being this network with type as appliance wireless APIs are not working and network update API does not have option append the network type.

Any suggestions?

3 REPLIES 3
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The networks need to be converted to type "combined" before you can do that.

I am looking at an option to convert the network before adding the device, did not find one from Meraki dashboard or API

rhbirkelund
Kind of a big deal

I think there might be a bit confusion upon terminology here.

When you create a new Network in an Organization using the GUI, you can choose between different Network types - type specific or Combined.

If you create a network via GUI, and select Security Appliance, as the network type, using the API endpoint

GET /networks/{networkId}

should return

"productTypes": [
            "appliance"
        ],

If you create a new Network on your organizations, using API endpoint

POST /organizations/{organizationId}/networks

you can set the Network type in the field productTypes

"productTypes": [
            "appliance",
            "switch",
            "wireless"
        ],

If you select more than 1 type in productTypes, the Network Type will become Combined.

It is not possible to convert 1 network to a Combined, per se.

What you can do is, if the Network does not contain the wireless product type yet, you can create a new Network as productType = wireless, and combine the new Wireless network with the original network using

POST /organizations/{organizationId}/networks/combine

LinkedIn ::: https://blog.rhbirkelund.dk/

Like what you see? - Give a Kudo ## Did it answer your question? - Mark it as a Solution 🙂

All code examples are provided as is. Responsibility for Code execution lies solely your own.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.