Meraki API and Postman - large integer issue

writ_er_relo
Here to help

Meraki API and Postman - large integer issue

I started learning Postman to try and automate tasks through the Meraki API. I kept running into an issue where postman would round my large numbers. Unfortunately, the ORG IDs were large numbers so all of my commands would fail. Some google-fu showed me that PostMan calls this a limitation of JS and don't plan on implementing a fix.

Has anyone else found a workaround or fix for this?

I moved to automating via powershell, but I loved the GUI of Postman coming from a complete newbie. 

Thanks for your input. 

6 REPLIES 6
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

Never seen this issue, but I'm just using Postman application, no fancy scripting/python or whatever. Everything works fine for me.

For your issue I came across this thread about how to fix it. I don't really know how you would go about using it though, so good luck with that lol.

Also you will need to use the Chrome auto translate when you visit this blog:

https://mahasak.com/hacking-bigint-in-api-testing-with-postman-runner-newman-in-ci-environment-eb699...

Hope that helps !
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

That's the thing, I'm not doing any fancy stuff either, just using Postman and Runner then trying to insert variables from a csv. One of those variables being the OrgID

😞

I also found that post too, but it requires posting 3rd party code into Postman as a global variable. I did it on a test machine, and still couldn't get it to work. I'm sure the translation doesn't help.

Thanks for the reply.

Yep! It's totally related to that. 

Do you know what the other poster means by:

You could add a second field id_str, which would avoid a breaking change.

At the moment I'm pulling the id out with a regex, which has got me going for now.

??

I'm pretty new to this whole Postman thing, but Meraki seems to have some agreement with them so their documentation is some of the best.

@writ_er_relo wrote:

Do you know what the other poster means by:

You could add a second field id_str, which would avoid a breaking change.

At the moment I'm pulling the id out with a regex, which has got me going for now.

I think it's meant as a message to @DexterLaBora , a suggestion on how to avoid having to change the API in a way that breaks existing applications.

@BrechtSchamp wrote:

I think it's meant as a message to @DexterLaBora , a suggestion on how to avoid having to change the API in a way that breaks existing applications.

Right, sorry. I meant, do you or anyone else know how to:

"Add a second field id_str"

or

"Pull the id out with a regex"

I asked in that separate thread, so I'll see what they say. Thanks!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.