Is there an API request to update SSID Availability ?

HLo
Conversationalist

Is there an API request to update SSID Availability ?

I am creating an application that updates an SSID, so far I can change the name , wpa2key, enabled , etc  but I haven't been able to enable the SSID in just a group of APs for some tags :

HLo_0-1583221081757.png

Is there an API request to perform this action ? 

4 Replies 4
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

There's no call for that at the moment (I don't see them in the next beta and the next alpha either).

I think the idea is that you configure (on beforehand) that a certain SSID is to be broadcasted on APs with defined tags and that you just assign or take away tags from devices via the API:

That may not be sufficient for your use-case however. What is your use-case?

HLo
Conversationalist

Thanks for your reply .

My use case is :

1. I have a set of SSIDs disabled initially , each SSID is in Bridge mode and tag to a different Vlan .

2. I organize the APs in different tags according to location (eg. firstFloor, terrace , etc )

3. At some point in my System I can enable an SSID and change its fields (name , wpa2 key, etc ) , I then want to enable that SSID only in some tags,  let's say only in the firstFloor  ; I dont find the way to do that with the API .what can i do in this case ? 

Thanks again for your answer .

BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

Let's say you have an SSID GuestWiFi.

You configure it on beforehand that it will only broadcast on the APs that are tagged with "guestap". Then via API you can add or remove the "guestap" tag to all APs that you want to have broadcast the GuestWiFi SSID.

Now let's say your use case is that you want to enable the GuestWiFi SSID on the APs tagged with "1stfloor". You could still work in the same way as above, but you'd have to use some trickery. You iterate over all APs and for each AP that has the "1stfloor" tag set, you also set the "guestap" tag. The two calls you need:

https://www.apimatic.io/api-docs/meraki-api/v/0_6_0#/rest/api-endpoints/devices/get-network-devices

https://www.apimatic.io/api-docs/meraki-api/v/0_6_0#/rest/api-endpoints/devices/update-network-devic...

Unfortunately the SSID-availability cannot be configured via API yet. But imo this is the thing that takes the least work. It's the tagging of the APs that takes the most work, and that part you can automate.

HLo
Conversationalist

SSID Availability would be a huge addition to the API in my case ,so if this is added to the API please let me know ,.

I'm using the Meraki API as My application manages different networks (also from different vendors ) in many organizations so manually setting the SSID Availability for me is not an option . My users all use the application to create networks transparently and we dont give them permissions for access directly any network equipment . So basically this means that everything has to be automated   🙂 

Fortunately you also give me a workaround,  I will try your suggestion of iterating all the APs and adding a Tag that will represent the SSID . 

I will update the thread with my results. Thanks !!!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.