Incorrect PoE usage data from /devices/{serial}/switch/ports/statuses

sungod
Head in the Cloud

Incorrect PoE usage data from /devices/{serial}/switch/ports/statuses

There's a long-running issue where /devices/{serial}/switch/ports/statuses sometimes returns insane values for PoE usage on a port.

 

For instance, running a simple test via devnet to exclude the issue being something wrong in our code, PoE usage on one switch port was reported as 1,451,758.4 Wh over a 24 hour period, that's equivalent to a c. 60kW load.

 

Looking at just one customer for September, we had clearly incorrect usage values on over twenty switches (out of over 1,000 switches in that org) including these switch models..

 

MS120-24P
MS120-48LP
MS225-48LP
MS350-48LP

 

I've opened a support case now, but I'd be interested to hear if others are seeing the same thing or found any explanation/workaround.

 

10 REPLIES 10
RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I have found the exact same issue. Some ports are reporting an insane value. We are using MS 14.33

 

 

{"portId":"20","enabled":true,"status":"Disconnected","isUplink":false,"errors":["Port disconnected"],"warnings":[],"speed":"","duplex":"","usageInKb":{"total":0,"sent":0,"recv":0},"lldp":{"portId":"c8:5a:cf:b2:ec:d6","chassisId":"c8:5a:cf:b2:ec:d6"},"clientCount":0,"powerUsageInWh":2773150.1,"trafficInKbps":{"total":0.0,"sent":0.0,"recv":0.0},"secureConnect":{"enabled":false,"active":false,"authenticationStatus":"Disabled","configOverrides":{}}}

 

Port has been disconnected for the last 3 months and it still reporting a client via LLDP...

Oren
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Joining the party fashionably late.. if support tickets were created for this, can you kindly share their number(s)?

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi Oren , 

 

My case is 08705228 

sungod
Head in the Cloud

Mine is 08702988

Oren
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

@RaphaelL@sungod, Can you kindly try this again and let me know if you notice a chance?

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes ! Update was made to my case. 


It looks fixed. But I have 2 ports that are showing way larger values than the rest : 

 

{"portId":"31","enabled":true,"status":"Disconnected","isUplink":false,"errors":["Port disconnected"],"warnings":[],"speed":"","duplex":"","usageInKb":{"total":948292,"sent":899714,"recv":48578},"lldp":{"systemName":"","systemDescription":"","portId":"","chassisId":"","portDescription":"eth0","systemCapabilities":"S-VLAN Component of a VLAN Bridge"},"clientCount":1,"powerUsageInWh":3368.2,"trafficInKbps":{"total":89.9,"sent":85.3,"recv":4.6},"securePort":{"enabled":false,"active":false,"authenticationStatus":"Disabled","configOverrides":{}}}

 

Rest is around 100-300 , 2 ports reporting 3XXX. 

Oren
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

If we're down to a specific port or two, I think Kamron from Meraki support working with you will have more insights into the specifics.

I'm glad to hear the majority of the data looks better now!

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

100% agree with you ! 2 ports on 10K is nothing serious ! 🙂 Glad to have this issue fixed ! 

sungod
Head in the Cloud

I just ran a check on an org with c. 1100 switches, data for yesterday show no weird PoE values, usage on all switches looks realistic.

Oren
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Wonderful. Thanks for verifying. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.