Inconsistent device output

diablo24
Building a reputation

Inconsistent device output

Hi All,

I'm wondering why there's so much inconsistency with the APIs that return a device:

org/device/statues:

{
"name": "Meraki_MX65",
"serial": "xxxxxxx",
"mac": "",
"publicIp": "",
"networkId": "",
"status": "online",
"lastReportedAt": "2024-02-23T19:01:18.054000Z",
"productType": "appliance",
"components": { "powerSupplies": [] },
"model": "MX65",
"tags": [],
"usingCellularFailover": false,
"wan1Ip": "",
"wan1Gateway": "",
"wan1IpType": "dhcp",
"wan1PrimaryDns": "",
"wan1SecondaryDns": "",
"wan2Ip": null
},

org/devices:

{
"serial": "xxxxx",
"productType": "appliance",
"address": "",
"lat": 37.3644,
"lng": -121.91518,
"notes": "",
"wan2Ip": null,
"configurationUpdatedAt": "2024-01-02T12:20:08Z",
"firmware": "wired-18-1-07",
"url": "https://n27.meraki.com/lab-net-firewall/n/1puaKcB/manage/nodes/new_list/247165638139553",
"details": []
},

network/devices:

{
"lat": 37.3644,
"lng": -121.91518,
"address": "",
"serial": "xxxxxxxx",
"wan2Ip": null,
"url": "https://n27.meraki.com/lab-net-firewall/n/1puaKcB/manage/nodes/new_list/247165638139553",
"details": [],
"firmware": "wired-18-1-07",
"floorPlanId": null
}

If I wanted to filter using Network ID and get all the devices under that network, you'll notice there's a bunch of attributes missing from the other two APIs (using Org Id). Is there a reason why all the JSON output is so different?

Thanks in advance,

-Jerome

9 Replies 9
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I advise you to urgently remove this post, it has Serial Number and Network ID information.

This exposes your network.
I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
diablo24
Building a reputation

@alemabrahaoThanks removed both serial and network id

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you need organization-wide information or real-time status information, you would need to use the org/devices or org/device/statuses APIs respectively.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

diablo24
Building a reputation

@alemabrahao- Yeah I get that. However, there's attributes that we need at the Org level that missing in the network level. As I mentioned, if I have an App that wants to filter devices using network ID, then the devices returned is missing information needed.

Well you can try calling the network/devices endpoint with the Network ID to get the list of devices in the network and for each device, call the org/devices endpoint with the Org ID and the device’s serial number to get the additional attributes.

It's just an attempt, I don't know if it will work.

diablo24
Building a reputation

@alemabrahao- Well doesn't that defeat the purpose here? If APIs are provide to get devices from a different hierarchy, why not just give the same device info? Why do I have to call two APIs when I can just use one at the network level? Honestly, I could just call the one API (org/device/statues) and I'd be done. However, if you're providing an API to get device info at the network level why give different output?

Oh, this is something you have to question Meraki about.

rhbirkelund
Kind of a big deal

In general, I don’t see inconsistencies in the data provided from the different endpoints. All the data seems to match.

As for which attributes are present in which endpoints, I can not say. 
If you want something specific to be added, your best bet is to log it in “Make a wish” and perhaps open a ticket with Meraki support and have it logged as a feature enhancement, preferably with a use case and business case.
Then you’ll have to hope for it to be added in the future.

LinkedIn ::: https://blog.rhbirkelund.dk/

Like what you see? - Give a Kudo ## Did it answer your question? - Mark it as a Solution 🙂

All code examples are provided as is. Responsibility for Code execution lies solely your own.
diablo24
Building a reputation

@rhbirkelund- Here's what are the attributes missing from the output:

1. public IP (in org/device/statuses, missing in org/devices and network/devices)

2. wan gateway (in org/device/statuses, missing in org/devices and network/devices)

3. dns entries (in org/device/statuses, missing in org/devices and network/devices)

Sure I can file "Make a wish" and also open a case. However, it's been my experience that these types of request aren't top priority. I'm just trying to understand if an API is provided to get devices why can't they just be all the same?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.