Dashboard / API: copy GROUP POLICIES to another network

SOLVED
mklein
Here to help

Dashboard / API: copy GROUP POLICIES to another network

Hello,

is there any possibility to copy GROUP POLICIES from one network to another? The configuration templates do not offer this and using the API it's only possible to list (and create) device-specific policies.

We have a bunch of group policies, that I want to apply to other, already existing networks.

Thanks in advance,
Matthias Klein, KAEMI GmbH Berlin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Meraki_John
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Hi Matthias,

at the moment, we don't have an endpoint that can create new group policies.

You can create a network and then manually create the group policy in that network, and then via the API create a new network based on the one that has the group policy already in it. But as you want to create/update group policies on existing networks, this is not currently possible.

I believe we are currently looking in to adding this functionality, but I'm not sure o timescales, etc.

Thanks,

John

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Meraki_John
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Hi Matthias,

at the moment, we don't have an endpoint that can create new group policies.

You can create a network and then manually create the group policy in that network, and then via the API create a new network based on the one that has the group policy already in it. But as you want to create/update group policies on existing networks, this is not currently possible.

I believe we are currently looking in to adding this functionality, but I'm not sure o timescales, etc.

Thanks,

John

Has there been any new developments on this question?

Thanks in advance.

Robb

Dave2000
Here to help

Any update?

Meraki_John
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Hi @Robb1963 & @Dave2000 

since these posts there have been more group policy endpoints added in the latest version of the API (v1).

Check out the endpoints here: https://developer.cisco.com/meraki/api-v1/#!get-network-group-policies

If you are copying from one network to another, it would be a simple case of 2 calls (assuming you know the grouppolicy id/network id/etc.):

1) get all network group policies.

2) create the new group policy in the new network based on one (or more) of the group policies from step 1.

Copying all group policies would just be a case of adding a loop in there so you would complete step one, then loop through ever GP and create a new one on each iteration.

Cheers,

John

Hi, I use postman with the Meraki API and I would like to know how to do or in what way I could be able to do the following: I have a few networks with their respective group policies. I would like that when I make a change in one, that change is applied to the rest of the networks automatically. (IMPORTANT: Only when I wanted to do it, because if for example I were to lose connection in one of them, I would leave all of them without connection also when replicating that policy to the rest)
Thanks a lot.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.