Can't detect BLE Beacons (Meraki Scanning API)

Solved
DevTom
Conversationalist

Can't detect BLE Beacons (Meraki Scanning API)

I am currently testing Meraki location scanning services with four MR76 access points and I am able to receive locations of multiple devices.

However, the Problem I have is that the access points don't detect my BLE beacons.

The beacons are configured like Meraki suggests it with a transmit power of 0 dBm and a beacon interval of 100ms.

If anyone can provide any help or guidance on how to resolve this it would be great, thanks

1 Accepted Solution
DevTom
Conversationalist

I have fixed my problem and I am now able to detect BLE beacons and their locations.

It seems that Meraki access points don't detect beacons which send unknown data frames.

(I used beacons of ELA Innovation, which are preconfigured to send a manufacturer specific data frame. With this configuration my access points couldn't detect the beacon as they were not shown on the dashboard in the list of the Bluetooth clients)

To resolve the problem, I had to reconfigure the BLE beacons (via NFC) and change the data format.

Once I changed the format to iBeacon on all of my Beacons, they instantly showed up on the dashboard and I was able to receive their location data through Scanning API. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
DevTom
Conversationalist

I have fixed my problem and I am now able to detect BLE beacons and their locations.

It seems that Meraki access points don't detect beacons which send unknown data frames.

(I used beacons of ELA Innovation, which are preconfigured to send a manufacturer specific data frame. With this configuration my access points couldn't detect the beacon as they were not shown on the dashboard in the list of the Bluetooth clients)

To resolve the problem, I had to reconfigure the BLE beacons (via NFC) and change the data format.

Once I changed the format to iBeacon on all of my Beacons, they instantly showed up on the dashboard and I was able to receive their location data through Scanning API. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.