Bulk name update of clients

bbyw
Conversationalist

Bulk name update of clients

Hello,

I'm trying to find way to update in bulk clients' name connected to Meraki networks.

Here's the scenario:
In our organization each network has at least 1 Android device connected to the network. However, their names do not match the names we have assigned them in our MDM tool. The goal is to update names of all devices with the names from our MDM tool.

I exported list of all devices from our MDM tool that contains columns device name and MAC address. Then I exported through Meraki API a csv file with names of networks and MAC addresses of Android devices and merged them with report from MDM tool.

So now I have a single CSV file that matched MAC addresses with network names and device names from the MDM tool.

I would like to make a script that would iterate through all the networks and using MAC address update the device name according to the name from MDM tool. However, I could not find in API documentation any requests that would allow me to perform this task.

What would be the best way to approach this?

1 Reply 1
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Maybe this API will help you.

Provision Network Clients - Meraki Dashboard API v1 - Cisco Meraki Developer Hub

There’s a Python script available on GitHub that can update Meraki devices using a CSV file. You might be able to adapt this script to your needs.

GitHub - radzima/meraki-updater: Update Meraki devices using the provisioning API

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.