Appropriate Distance between MR42 access points

TheParlorNYC
New here

Appropriate Distance between MR42 access points

Hello, 

We have two MR42 devices in our location, an area of the facility is not receiving proper WiFi so we decided to add a third device hoping that it will solve the problem since the facility is big, however, we don't want the signals to overlap and cause connectivity issues, how far away from one another do the devices need to be for proper operation?

Thank you! 

7 Replies 7
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@TheParlorNYC You would want them at least 1m apart, but it really depends on the frequency used and what is in between.  I have three APs at home and one is 4m from the other, but the third is 20m away.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

2.4Ghz has the longest wavelength at 122mm.  At very close distances, you want to avoid placing RF components that are a multiple of a quarter of a wavelength apart.

I'd feel pretty happy at 300mm between the APs.  That is more than 2 wavelengths apart, and not a multiple of a 1/4 wavelength.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If the RF spectrum is clear in your area, then with 3 x APs you should be able to operate them all on non-overlapping channels.

sungod
Head in the Cloud

As above, the distance between APs is unlikely to be a problem as you mention the site is big, and as @PhilipDAth says with just three APs you can avoid overlapping channels in the 2.4GHz band (I'd set the channel selection to 'auto' and let Dashboard figure things out, it'll factor in other wireless detected.)

Have you a floorplan of the site? Even without using an RF design tool it will make it easier to eyeball the best position to add an AP.

Consider if there're walls/other obstructions likely to block RF, interference sources (other companies' APs, microwave ovens, wireless video senders, industrial equipment etc.).

Have you looked in Dashboard with Air Marshall and RF Spectrum to see how things are?

If it's a benign environment with low density of devices you can probably just stick in an extra AP in the middle of the dead zone, if things are complicated it's worth applying a bit more thought.

TheParlorNYC
New here

Thank you for your assistance! There is about 440sq ft between the closest AP and the dead zone. The dead zone is close to the kitchen hence the microwave and close to the laundry room, we have 2.4Ghz if I am not mistaken.

sungod
Head in the Cloud

The MR42 in't a current model (end of sale was last year) but still good for most uses, it will be running on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz concurrently by default, check your config - generally the 5GHz band is clearer, most client devices in the last few years are dual band and can choose the best signal.

Assuming just a single 1gig cable connection to your switch, adding an MR36 should be ok (it's a current model, WiFi 6 spec.) - a higher performance AP would be limited by the 1gig LAN connection.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The direct replacement of the MR42 is the MR46 and then the CW9164.  I wouldn't worry about the 1Gb connection being a limiting factor, in practice it will not be a limiting factor on an MR57 or CW9166, let alone a lower density AP.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.