API for Switch port profile

nan3540
Conversationalist

API for Switch port profile

Hi

I am currently working on a big deployment of over 900 networks in one organization. I don't want to use network templates. I am considering using the new switch port profiles, but i cant seem to find any api documentation of this. 

If there anyone that can guide me in the right direction

Thanks in advance 😊

9 Replies 9
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Have you checked this one?

https://developer.cisco.com/meraki/api/update-device-switch-port/

alemabrahao_0-1700673969695.png

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

That is solving a later task, at first I need to create the port profiles. At this point I don’t have any serial number on any device so every thing I do has to be done on the network level 

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

There is no API listed for It.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

I see API calls to create AP port profiles - https://developer.cisco.com/meraki/api-v1/create-network-wireless-ethernet-ports-profile/ (in case you need it). Strangely enough, not seeing the same for switch port profiles. 

K2_Josh
Building a reputation

And once the API is published for /switch/ port profiles, we can write code to manually apply the configuration from port profiles to the actual port configuration so that it displays correctly in the dashboard.

Badr-eddine
Getting noticed

Hello,

I believe you are seeking documentation on the creation of switch port profiles and the assignment of these profiles to specific switches:

Switch port profile:

https://developer.cisco.com/meraki/api/get-organization-config-template-switch-profiles/

Assignment of the profile:

https://developer.cisco.com/meraki/api/update-device/

Please let me know if the information I provided aligns with what you are looking for.

nan3540
Conversationalist

That is not exactly what i am looking for. I am not gonna be using Organization templates, i want every configuration to be done on the single network

Rice
Conversationalist

I reckon I've run into the same problem. I've created one port profile from Meraki Dashboard. Then based the API call "updateDeviceSwitchPort", I wanted to apply the profile to one specific switch port. I used the parameter "profile={'enabled': True, 'iname': 'test_profile'}", but it gave me the error "400 Bad Request Port profile must belong to the same switch group as the port it is assigned to". Don't get it at all. If I applied the profile to the switchport from the Dashboard directly, saved it and then disabled it (removed the port profile from the switchport). Finally run that API call again with the same profile parameter, it worked and added the profile back to the switchport. But it made no sense to me if it has to be bound first from Dashboard

Another finding is that after the port profile is added to one switchport from Dashboard first, with get API call, there will be a profile id in the response output. By using this id instead of "iname" in the profile parameter, with API put call, this profile can be applied successfully to other switchports. HOWEVER, how could I know the profile id before I bound it with one switchport first? Total mess. Please let me know your thoughts or test results. Thx. 

nan3540
Conversationalist

i get a fealing that many api's for switch port profiles are missing, so it it very hard to use this nice feature. I have a bigger problem than you i first need to create the profiles on over 900 individual networks, and no way i am doing that manualy. so we just have to wait for meraki to update the API's before we can use the fucntionalty at bigger scale

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.