Solved
KarlWyatt
New here

First, Please don't laugh at my code, I'm a network engineer, I've pieced this together from various sources. 

Second, its incomplete. So I know there are things that just don't work. 

So here is what it does. I have cameras that are in close to 200 different networks. In most cases there is 1 camera per network. For quality\compliance reasons I need to review each cameras placement and status at least once quarterly. I found it some what annoying to tackle this via the dashboard so I decided to figure out how to use the API. 

Enter my python script below. When run it asks for the API Key and then I lists the available orgs. Eventually I'll have 3 options 1) snap a pic from all cameras, 2) choose the camera to snap a pic from 3) exit. The first option allows me to just let it run and look later, the second option allows me to pull a specific camera if I want to review one, or check placement after adjustments are made, it lists out networks that have cameras

Okay - now that we are past what it does, I can say it does work.... so long as the camera is online. 

If you look at somewhere around line 39 (if copy and paste works) i have the line "snapurl = dashboard.camera.generateDeviceCameraSnapshot(indv_device['serial'])" 

I need help with some error handling here - if the camera is offline it can't create the snapshot url and throws a 500 error. It still tries because the dashboard knows about the device, but fails. I've tried to use try: with request response but maybe I'm doing something wrong? With the 500 error it just crashes the script with this message - "meraki.exceptions.APIError: camera, generateDeviceCameraSnapshot - 500 Internal Server Error, <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtm"

Does anyone have a tip to error handle a 500 error that maybe just prints "Camera is Unresponsive or Offline" or is there a way to test before the 500 if the device is online? 

Thanks,

import getpass
import requests
import meraki
import time

USER_KEY = getpass.getpass('Enter your Meraki API Value: ')
dashboard = meraki.DashboardAPI(USER_KEY, suppress_logging=True)
available_orgs = dashboard.organizations.getOrganizations()
print("\n---------------------------\nAvailable Organizations\n---------------------------")
for i in range(len(available_orgs)): 
    option = f"{i}: {available_orgs[i]['name']}" 
    print(option)
org_selection = input(f"\nSelect an organization [0-{len(available_orgs)-1}]: ")
org = available_orgs[int(org_selection)]
answer = input("Choose what you would like to do:\n    1) Capture snapshot from all camers\n    2) Capture snapshot from a single camera\n    3) Exit\nPlease type 1,2 or 3: ")
answer = '2'
if answer == '1':
    print("I don't do this yet")
if answer == '2':
    networks = dashboard.organizations.getOrganizationNetworks(org['id'])
    print("\n-------------------------------\nAvailable Networks With Cameras\n-------------------------------")
    num_networks = len(networks)
    for n in range(num_networks): 
        network = networks[n]
        dev_network = dashboard.networks.getNetworkDevices(network['id'])
        num_device = len(dev_network)
        for s in range(num_device):
            indv_device = dev_network[s]
            if indv_device['model'] == 'MV12N':
                netoption = f"{n}: {networks[n]['name']}" 
                print(netoption)
    net_selection = input(f"\nSelect a Network to capture image from [0-{len(networks)-1}]: ")
    camera_net = networks[int(net_selection)]
    dev_network = dashboard.networks.getNetworkDevices(camera_net['id'])
    num_device = len(dev_network)
    for s in range(num_device):
        indv_device = dev_network[s]
        if indv_device['model'] == 'MV12N':
            snapurl = dashboard.camera.generateDeviceCameraSnapshot(indv_device['serial'])
            file_name = indv_device['name']
            snapshot = snapurl['url']
            time.sleep(5)
            with open(file_name + '.jpg', 'wb') as handle:
                response = requests.get(snapshot, stream=True, headers={'User-Agent': 'Custom'})
                if not response =='200':
                    print("Faild to download automaticly - see if image exists at: ", snapshot)
                for chunk in response.iter_content(1024):
                    if not chunk:
                        break
                    handle.write(chunk)
                print("Snapshot Saved from ", indv_device['name'])            
if answer == '3':
        quit 

1 Accepted Solution
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Untested, but something like:

try:

except meraki.APIError as e:

print(e)

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Untested, but something like:

try:

print(e)

Yeah this kind of worked, it at least handles the error, but then gives me a new one that comes up after the try\except - 

NameError: name 'snapurl' is not defined

So I tried to add a quit to the "except" for now, then i was going to figure out what better to do later but that doesn't work either, it seems to ignore the quit, and keeps moving.

print(e)
                quit
snapshot = snapurl['url']

It still results in - NameError: name 'snapurl' is not defined - at this line

Ha. Nevermind, I saw it as soon as I posted it. *smh* - then couldn't delete the post. 

quit()

ugh. 

Thanks

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.