Where to configure Traffic Shaping, MX, MR or both

JorgeVG
New here

Where to configure Traffic Shaping, MX, MR or both

Sorry for my english.

I have the MX-50 and 12 MR-42, and I have configured 5 VLAN in MR and 3 in MX , I would like to know where I should configure the Traffic Shape MX or MR?

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

I usually recommend doing this on the MX side
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you are bridging your SSIDs (which I would tend to do), then I would do the traffic shaping on the MX.

If you are using NAT mode on the MR and you want to be able to do per-user traffic shapping then I would do the traffic shapping on the MR.

MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

You'll find there's no right or wrong answer, but really just best and common practices.  In some deployments I see traffic shaping rules right on the APs (closest to the edge of the network) but in addition there are typically global traffic shaping rules on the MX as well, so your answer might very well be BOTH depending on what you're trying to accomplish.  A common deployment is to set a per-client bandwidth limit on the wireless, and then perhaps more application-specific traffic shaping rules on the MX.  Also remember that you can apply traffic shaping if you wish via Group Policy under the Network Wide menu, and then if clients are in that GP, it doesn't matter if they're wired, or wireless, or both wired and wireless at different times, they will be bound by the traffic shaping rules you configure in the GP.  

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.