Update Client Name using API

Solved
AxelB
Here to help

Update Client Name using API

Hello, 

Using the API ,I would like to update the names of the clients connected to my network.

I can use the "Update the attributes of a device" for my switches, but I can find the equivalent for the clients.

All I see is "Update the policy" and "update splash autorization". 

Can someone point me the right request for this, or is it not possible?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

@AxelB wrote:

Do you have access to the "add client" button on the "clients" page of the dashboard ?

I do yes. What do you have in that network (MX, MR, MS?). I believe the functionality is only available when you have at least an MX or an MR or both in the network. I noticed that the button isn't there in a switch-only network. That's probably because the functionality was actually meant for the management of Group Policies. Which is only available in networks with and MX and/or an MR as well.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I don't see any API functions for updating client info.

Thanks for trying !

I was thinking about using the request "Provisions a client with a name and policy", that could maybe do the job.

However, as I try to use it, I always run into this error 400:

{
"errors": [
"Network requires a wireless or wired configuration to support client creation"
]
}

I don't understand what is this configuration needed, do you have an idea on how to solve it?

Thanks for the help.

BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

I just tested it with Postman and it works. I have an environment setup where baseUrl and networkId are already setup (Info here: https://create.meraki.io/build/meraki-postman-collection-getting-started/).

So the only thing I needed to do was double click the call in the collection so a new tab opens in postman for that call. Then below go to the "body" section and fill in the needed data ( "mac", "name", "devicePolicy"). In this case because I only wanted to change the name I set devicePolicy to "normal".

This is what that looks like:

Meraki_postman_client_name_change.png

I can run the other requests without problems, so I don't think it is a problem with my environment.

I guess it might be a problem with my network config, but I don't know what excactly.

Do you have access to the "add client" button on the "clients" page of the dashboard ?

I can see it here on the first image, but it's not showing in my dashboard: https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Group_Policies_and_Blacklisting/Pre-configure_Network_Policy_for...

Here is what it looks like on postman when I try :

tempsnip.png

Thanks for your time and help 🙂

BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

@AxelB wrote:

I do yes. What do you have in that network (MX, MR, MS?). I believe the functionality is only available when you have at least an MX or an MR or both in the network. I noticed that the button isn't there in a switch-only network. That's probably because the functionality was actually meant for the management of Group Policies. Which is only available in networks with and MX and/or an MR as well.

I solved the problem by changing my network Type to "combined", and now I can use the "Add Client" button and the API to change clients' names. 

Thanks for the help.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.