RMA Switch replacement

Solved
This2shallpass
Getting noticed

RMA Switch replacement

Hi Community, 

Upgraded MS, it gave error post upgrade. Logged a case with Meraki Support and after troubleshooting Meraki support has initiated a RMA. I've read that i have to claim the device & then add the claimed device to the network but if someone has gone through the whole process of introducing an RMA device to the network can sure help me out here.

Need the exact procedure to add the RMA device to the Network, have the exact configuration of the faulty switch pushed on to the new device, bring it UP & working.

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Switch cloning after the RMA

Once you have received a replacement MS switch, you can clone your configuration from your old standalone switch to your new switch by following the instructions in this document 'Switch Cloning'

If the switch to be replaced is a stack member, however, consult the instructions in our switch stacking documentation, under the section Replacing and Cloning Stack Members.

Full doc: https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Other_Topics/Troubleshooting_and_Replacing_a_Faulty_MS_Switch

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Switch cloning after the RMA

Once you have received a replacement MS switch, you can clone your configuration from your old standalone switch to your new switch by following the instructions in this document 'Switch Cloning'

If the switch to be replaced is a stack member, however, consult the instructions in our switch stacking documentation, under the section Replacing and Cloning Stack Members.

Full doc: https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Other_Topics/Troubleshooting_and_Replacing_a_Faulty_MS_Switch

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

So, the steps would be

1.Claim the device & add it to the Network.
2.Once that is done i will have to clone the configuration from my source to the target device.

3. Then connect the Uplinks (Core switch) from faulty device to the RMA device & once it connects the Internet the configuration will be fetched from the Dashboard ?

My faulty switch has a Static IP assigned i believe that is the only part which needs to be done manually to the RMA device.

Please correct me if my understanding & process is wrong

You are correct.

Thanks for your help @alemabrahao Appreciate it!

rhbirkelund
Kind of a big deal

I'm sorry to hear that your switch upgrade didn't go well, and resulted in an RMA.

If I may ask - what happened?

LinkedIn ::: https://blog.rhbirkelund.dk/

Like what you see? - Give a Kudo ## Did it answer your question? - Mark it as a Solution 🙂

All code examples are provided as is. Responsibility for Code execution lies solely your own.

Here goes..

After the upgrade, observed this alert/error "unable to fetch configuration" & the Firmware status  said "Up to date Current version: Not running configured version"

Gave the switch sometime to see if the alert/error goes away automatically as described in the Meraki Document & it didnt.
Then, after 15 mins rebooted the Switch & still there was no change.

Raised a case with Support
They went through backend troubleshooting to review the whole issue.
From backend logs, they were able to determine that a component used by the MS120 to perform firmware upgrades has failed to function as expected. As a result, the device was not able to successfully pull new configurations from the Meraki dashboard - unable to update any of its configuration settings. .
Support also tried to employ a workaround to the issue, but that failed too.

At this stage, support said they would initiate RMA.

Here goes..

After the upgrade, observed this alert/error "unable to fetch configuration" & the Firmware status  said "Up to date Current version: Not running configured version"

Gave the switch sometime to see if the alert/error goes away automatically as described in the Meraki Document & it didnt.
Then, after 15 mins rebooted the Switch & still there was no change.

Raised a case with Support
They went through backend troubleshooting to review the whole issue.
From backend logs, they were able to determine that a component used by the MS120 to perform firmware upgrades has failed to function as expected. As a result, the device was not able to successfully pull new configurations from the Meraki dashboard - unable to update any of its configuration settings. .
Support also tried to employ a workaround to the issue, but that failed too.

At this stage, support said they would initiate RMA.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.