Question about setup the device country

Yifeng
Here to help

Question about setup the device country

Hello there,

I am a new user of Meraki device. Recently, my company try to upgrade our Japan branch Meraki devices, including wireless access point. 

After I claim the AP into inventory, it shows the country is US. And when I try to add the AP into existing network, it doesn't work. The error message is as below.

"Cannot add an FCC (US) regulatory domain to a VCCI (JP) regulatory domain network. Add to a new network or change your network's country on the 'Radio settings' page."

Does that mean I have to claim those devices in Japan or there is somewhere I can change the country setting of those devices? Because I have tried to create a new network and setup the country as Japan, but after I add the AP into that network, it automatically changes to US and can not be changed anymore. 

Please give me some guide for this problem, thank you.

Sincerely,

Yifeng

12 REPLIES 12
LindseyM
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Hi, Can you advise where you purchased the device from? Ie which country?

I bought those devices in US. But they will be shipped to Japan and setup there. Does that work? Because the country show on dashboard is US. I hope that can change to JP.

Hello @Yifeng, Are the AP's online and checking into the dashboard? If so create a "New" wireless network and add all the AP's to this network. When this done you should have the ability to change the regulatory domain as per the article earlier posted.

If you're still having issues, I'd suggest reaching out to Meraki support. There use to be an alternative way for them to manually override however I'm not sure if this process is still valid. 

Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)

Hello @MilesMeraki,

Thank you for replying. No, those AP is not online now. They are in the box and are going to ship to Japan. I thought I can set them up via dashboard so I did not connect them yet.
Do you mean if I create a new wireless network and plug those AP into network, after I change the network country, those AP will be changed to JP?
I am going to try this, thank you very much.
Sincerely,
Yifeng

Hello @Yifeng, Yes that's correct. Connect them first and follow the guide steps i've provided.

Hello @MilesMeraki,
Unfortunately, that doesn't work for me.
1. I create a new network with switch type and change the country to Japan in the "Radio settings". But after connecting the AP and add it into this network, the country in "Radio settings" automatically changed to United States and turn into gray, cannot be changed anymore. If I remove the AP from that network, the country can be changed again.

2. Base on the document link you provided, the "Change" button showed in country, it says " The node group's country does not match that of its nodes. And in the pop out window of terms and conditions, it will change country from US to JP for AP. However, my situation is after I click the "Change" button, in the pop out window, it is going to change my "Network country" from JP to US.
I don't know what to do for this, please advice, thank you.
Sincerely,
Yifeng

I use these steps, assuming that you already have a working network (i'm from Chile, but it's the same)

1- Create a Network that we are going to use for setup only (let's call them "New Merakis")

2- Go to the "New Merakis" Network general settings (Network -> General)

3- Set the country to USA

4- Claim your device and add it to that network

5- Go to the "New Merakis" Network general settings and change the country to JPN

6- Move the device to your working network

7- In your "New Merakis" network go back the country from JPN to USA

Done!

Hi Angelo.

We created a "new network", set its country to US and then added some APs which are in the inventory with country/region set to US. But when we go back to the "new network" General Settings (for step 5) it shows the country field greyed out and we cannot change it anymore. Could you please detail how this worked for you?

Regards,

Elisio.

Just an update: the APs were not online yet. When we brought the APs online on the dashboard, then we were allowed to change the "new network" country in General Settings. Once the APs showed in the inventory with the intended country we could move them to the destination network. Thanks all.

MilesMeraki
Head in the Cloud

Have a read of this article, hopefully this helps - https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Radio_Settings/Fixing_Regulatory_Domain_Mismatches.

Remember your AP's need to check in to dashboard before you can change the Reg domain.

LindseyM
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Hi, thank you for replying. I have read that site for many times when I search for the solution, but both of them can not work. Since there is an exist network domain and I am going to upgrade some devices in that network domain, I can not ignore the old one and create a new one. And I do not have a "Change" button can click because the dashboard just show the error message without adding the new AP in. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.