New! Meraki iOS / Android App Updates!

joe
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

New! Meraki iOS / Android App Updates!

Hey Everyone,

We’re starting a major project to revamp and evolve the Meraki App for iOS and Android, with an upcoming release of version 2.4.0 this week. We know this update has been a long time coming, and rest assured, there are many additional features and functions still on our to-do list.

Version 2.4.0 contains a swath of fixes, quality of life improvements, such as native support for modern iPhones, and the ability to select between Primary and Secondary MXs when configured for high availability (HA).

We’d love your feedback as well and are currently tracking this through the “make a wish” tool in the app itself! This allows us to compile wishes across community and non-community members, - so, while we are happy to discuss the app in this thread, please submit a wish as well to make sure it gets tracked!

Version 2.4.0 is on an incremental release schedule and should be available to all users by the end of the week. Thanks for your support and feedback!

Changelog

iOS Release Notes (2.4.0):

• Added support for modern iPhones X, XR, XS, XS Max, 11, 11 Pro, 11 Pro Max)
• Added support for choosing to view the Primary or Secondary MX when in HA
• Fixed a bug where certain accounts were not able to log in to the app
• Fixed a bug that would cause uploading mounting photos for devices to sporadically fail
• Fixed a bug that caused the VPN Registry incorrectly display "Disconnected"
• Fixed multiple bugs around Google Maps incorrectly loading
• Fixed an issue where we were unable to resolve current location, even though location permissions were enabled
• Fixed an issue where adding devices from inventory would erroneously fail, while still adding the device
Android Release Notes (2.4.0)
• Fixed a bug causing certain accounts to not be able to log in
• Fixed a bug causing uploading mounting photos to fail
• Fixed a bug causing the VPN Registry to incorrectly display "Disconnected"
• Fixed multiple bugs with Google Maps behaving incorrectly
• Fixed a bug causing location to not resolve, though permissions were enabled
• Fixed a bug with adding devices from inventory erroneously failing, while still adding the device

25 REPLIES 25
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Able to see both MXs rather than one or the other seemingly at random!

Excellent, can I have it now please 😎

Are there going to be major changes? I find the app rather useless, and the dashboard works great in the mobile chrome browser.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

There is a lot of ill feeling towards the app.  A lot of people feel it has has been abandoned.  So it is good to see it is getting some love again.

Are there developers permanently employed to look after it now, or are they on it for just a period of time like 3 months to complete the changes?

joe
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

@Aaron_Wilson : Definitely! We are currently looking at how we can evolve the app in larger ways to make it more usable, reliable, and feature rich.

@PhilipDAth : There is indeed a Mobile team that is working on the mobile app and experience

BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

Cool, I'll definitely test it out.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@joe it has now been at least a week and I, for one, have not yet seen the update.  I am on an Android device in the UK and have been on the beta program for some time.  Can you please check what the delay is and give us an updated release expectation?

joe
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hey @cmr ,

Looks like some wires got crossed while we've been setting up a new hot fix release, where the roll out stopped early. Should hopefully see a new version (2.4.2) available early next week.

Sorry about that!

joe
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hey all,

Just noting that version 2.4.2 has been pushed to production, and should be widely available in the next couple hours, if not immediately! (app store syncing can sometimes take a bit)

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Do you have a change log you could share?

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Here in the UK, updating now...

joe
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

@PhilipDAth Sure thing. Both of these change-logs are available for viewing when installing the update as well. This update was mainly to fix a minor feature regression, and squash a couple more bugs.

iOS Release Notes (2.4.2):

• Fixed a feature regression where you could no longer view MV live feeds in fullscreen mode
• Fixed a bug where viewing the local status page information for the connected node would fail
• Fixed a bug where users would sometimes see a blank white screen on app re-launch
• Minor performance improvements

Android Release Notes (2.4.2):

• Fixed a bug where viewing the local status page information for the connected node would fail
• Fixed a bug where users would sometimes see a blank white screen on app re-launch
• Minor performance improvements

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@joeI think we were looking for 2.3 to 2.4 updates if possible?

I see the dual MX works well in the new Android app though the MX84 still doesn't show connected ports, as opposed to the MX100 that does...

2.4.3? 🤔

joe
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

@cmr Thanks for the report!

Changelog for 2.3 -> 2.4.0 can be found below. I'll edit the main post here to have this as well:

iOS Release Notes (2.4.0):

• Added support for modern iPhones X, XR, XS, XS Max, 11, 11 Pro, 11 Pro Max)
• Fixed a bug where certain accounts were not able to log in to the app
• Fixed a bug that would cause uploading mounting photos for devices to sporadically fail
• Fixed a bug that caused the VPN Registry incorrectly display "Disconnected"
• Fixed multiple bugs around Google Maps incorrectly loading
• Fixed an issue where we were unable to resolve current location, even though location permissions were enabled
• Fixed an issue where adding devices from inventory would erroneously fail, while still adding the device
Android Release Notes (2.4.0)
• Fixed a bug causing certain accounts to not be able to log in
• Fixed a bug causing uploading mounting photos to fail
• Fixed a bug causing the VPN Registry to incorrectly display "Disconnected"
• Fixed multiple bugs with Google Maps behaving incorrectly
• Fixed a bug causing location to not resolve, though permissions were enabled
• Fixed a bug with adding devices from inventory erroneously failing, while still adding the device
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Well I can confirm that 1,4 and 5 are all good fixes 😎

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The details page for anything bigger than an MX6x still has incomplete or simply incorrect port information.  Minor but still frustrating...

beks88
A model citizen

I was very happy when I saw the App has an update to install.

Since the SM is my main job, would be great to be able to send a restart device command through the app. For now I still have to use the browser :).
Still hoping on getting TouchID/FaceID support for log in

Kudo for getting more focus on the mobile app again
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@beks88 fyi touch ID works with a Samsung, not sure about other Android brands but there might be options.

beks88
A model citizen

using iPhone and haven't found any setting regarding TouchID/FaceID, but good to know it works on Android 🙂
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Also, which device can't you reboot from the app?  The tools menu of the Android app allows reboot of MRs, MSs and MXs.

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

One thing I am finding is when using SM on the App (iOS) and I click on the clients tab to being with all of the clients show and being offline, if I click on a client that I know is online the status changes to being online.

beks88
A model citizen

@cmr I‘m talking about Systems Manager, can‘t reboot devices there. Had a case just a few days ago where it would been helpful.
Nick
Head in the Cloud

Just very happy to see this being given some much needed love

Its certainly something that should be kept being shown love!

Thygesen
Building a reputation

Hi ..

(@joe)

Just curious ..

What's in store for us ?
I see that the version is 2.4.2 now, and was wondering what the near future brings of exiting goodies in the app ?

With highest regards

Thyge

joe
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hey @Thygesen,

While we haven't done our full public marketing announcement just yet, there is a new public beta of the app, completely redesigned and rebuilt with modern Dashboard users in mind. You can check out the thread that @PhilipDAth made about it here.

Cheers,

Joe Letizia

Product Manager | Mobile Platforms

Thygesen
Building a reputation

@joe 

Thanx .. 🙂
I'm checking it out .. Looks crisp ..

Needs something on the security center part though ..

Could be nice to have it in the overview part ..

With Highest regards

Thyge

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.