Need to claim MX84 devices, but receiving an error about it already being in use.

DanTWG
New here

Need to claim MX84 devices, but receiving an error about it already being in use.

Hello,

We onboarded a client from another IT vendor. They were managing their Meraki devices from the portal. The previous vendor stated they unclaimed all of the Meraki devices from their portal, but when I go to claim it in ours, we receive an error stating the device is already in use. Is this an error on the previous vendor's side, or on our Meraki portal?

2 Replies 2
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I don't know how long it took to remove it from the inventory, but it usually takes a few hours before I can add it to another organization's inventory.

If it has been a long time, the ideal is to ask them to confirm whether it has indeed been removed from inventory.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
nerdocrat
Here to help

If the old vendor still has it, then I recommend not only asking for them to release it, but to confirm there are no lingering devices on your client's old site network.

It's also possible their portal had a dual-org setup going on. Do you have contact with any of the org admins? Is anyone from the client an org admin for a rainy day?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.