Multiple Layer 3 Devices no allowed in the same network on the dashboard?

SOLVED
Mike_Rapp
Getting noticed

Multiple Layer 3 Devices no allowed in the same network on the dashboard?

How come I have to create two different entries for one network if I have multiple layer 3 devices? 

Example: I have a Security Appliance and a Layer 3 Switch. I have to create one network for the Security Appliance, labeled NETWORK1-Security. The rest of the devices, Layer 3 Switches, Layer 2 Switches, AP's, are listed in a seperate network labeled NETWORK1-Internal? Can anybody explain this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Mike_Rapp
Getting noticed

Before we combined one of our networks, the MX appliance was tracking clients by IP. When we went to combine the networks, this is the message we are getting:

"Security appliance networks tracking clients by IP addresses cannot be combined with other networks"

Also in the Address & VLANs section of the MX appliance, the option to track by IP if there is a Meraki layer 3 switch, is not available.

Appliance Capture.png

Why is this option, IP address, grayed out? If we track by MAC address the MX is only going to see the MAC address of the Layer 3 Switch.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

You can't have two MX's in the same network (except for warm spare), but there's no restriction on mixing L3 switches and MX's that I'm aware of. I'm sure that I have a network with MX's and L3 switches in them. 

Nash
Kind of a big deal

I have networks with both L3 switches and MX devices in the same combined network. You should be able to have them all smushed together like that, so long as you've only got one MX (or MX HA pair) within the network. It's part of the full stack visibility goal.

Mike_Rapp
Getting noticed

When configured all together the MX saw all the traffic from the switch...do we not have something configured correctly

Mike_Rapp
Getting noticed

Before we combined one of our networks, the MX appliance was tracking clients by IP. When we went to combine the networks, this is the message we are getting:

"Security appliance networks tracking clients by IP addresses cannot be combined with other networks"

Also in the Address & VLANs section of the MX appliance, the option to track by IP if there is a Meraki layer 3 switch, is not available.

Appliance Capture.png

Why is this option, IP address, grayed out? If we track by MAC address the MX is only going to see the MAC address of the Layer 3 Switch.

Nash
Kind of a big deal

Ah. Well, there's your answer then. If I remember a support call correctly, then non-MX Meraki devices don't have the ability to track clients via IP. They can only track via mac.

Have you reviewed https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Monitoring_and_Reporting/Client_Tracking_Options ?

Thanks everyone for the responses. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.