Meraki GPS/GNSS for mobile devices

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Meraki GPS/GNSS for mobile devices

Have you got a Meraki device (like an MX) on something that moves, such as a marine vessel, vehicle, etc?

Then you should check out my latest project.  I marry a GPS chip to a raspberry Pi to form a GPS server (using the common gpsd), and then use a script to get the GPS co-ordinates from this to update the Meraki devices location on the overview map.

If you already have a network gpsd on-board then all you need is the script.

https://www.ifm.net.nz/cookbooks/meraki-gps.html 

For the GNSS people out there - sorry - I know it should be GNSS but the public know the term GPS better.

9 REPLIES 9
Seshu
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Nice idea @PhilipDAth 

BigRay
Conversationalist

Hello

We are approaching this a bit different, when it comes to vessels. Why not just use the ship AIS system, a bit of magic in between with Meraki SDK and connect to the Meraki dashboard API.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:10.3/centery:57.7/zoom:6

Edgar-VO
Building a reputation

Hi There,

We have a survey department and they store their GPS locations in a csv file on a server and they update that information on a hourly basis. 

I have created a tiny Flask server which i now query to obtain the GPS position of a vessel, and change all devices in meraki which belong to that network on board the vessel...You sent a request to the server and recieve a json file with the lat and lng

It is up and running now, and we see all vessels now in our meraki Map.....

PhilipDAth gave me the idea, and i adapted it for use in my company.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I've found the Marine Traffic guys difficult to deal with in the past and the satellite service is pretty expensive to sibscribe to. 

Nice I might have to try this with a cellular MX I have planned for a vehicle install. 

BigRay
Conversationalist

Our customer is already subscribing to this information so not extra cost in this case

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@BigRay perhaps you could publish your AIS code for others to use?

BigRay
Conversationalist

Hello
Have to check, customer paid so there might be is some comercial issues. 

Sharing is caring so I will try 🙂

rwiesmann
A model citizen

@PhilipDAth I like this! Thanks a lot for the great documentation to it. Gone try it!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.