Management Traffic - If Ineternet link is down

Amy
Comes here often

Management Traffic - If Ineternet link is down

Hello Guys,

Need your support, is there any document which states that If customer having 2 links (Internet + MPLS) at spoke site and if Internet link goes down then also the VPN traffic will flow where the new provisioning and adding new device will not happen....Need some document around this.

Thanks

Amy

4 REPLIES 4
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I don't understand your question, but here are the two reference documents for using Internet + private MPLS circuits.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX-Z/Site-to-site_VPN/Configuring_Site-to-site_VPN_over_MPLS

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX-Z/Deployment_Guides/MPLS_Failover_to_Meraki_Auto_VPN

Amy
Comes here often

Hello Philip,

My question is out of two link at Hub or spoke site (MPLS + Internet) if internet link is down then what will happen to management traffic which goes toward Meraki Dashboard....will the management traffic will be dropped or management traffic along with VPN traffic will be dropped...so need some documentation around this which it clearly indicates this.

Thanks

Amy

AjitKumar
Head in the Cloud

Hi Amy,

Hope you are doing fine.

Question is where are we terminating the Links?

Scenario 1

Assuming Internet is on WAN 1 and MPLS is on WAN 2. [Note Remote office is availing Internet from HQ/DC for MPLS Link]

The understanding is if WAN 1 Fails Internet Traffic, Management Traffic and VPN Traffic will move to WAN2 [Unless we write rules to tweak Traffic in “Flow Preferences” / Enable Load balancing] same shall be the case if WAN2 Fails.

Scenario 2

Assuming Internet is on WAN 1 and MPLS is on LAN Port.

The understanding is if WAN 1 Fails Internet Traffic, Management Traffic and VPN Traffic will be dropped as there no other link to travel . However MPLS and LAN services continue to work.

[Screenshot for Reference]

Traffic Shaping.PNG

NOTE: This is my understanding. Philip please add the missing points [If any].

Regards,
Ajit
AjitsNW@gmail.com
www.ajit.network

HI,

You need to connect your MPLS link on L3 switch and configure routing with them, Need to connect your ISP on WAN -1 & WAN -2, afterhen your failover will work.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.