How to block access from specific devices at specific times

WhitePhantom
Just browsing

How to block access from specific devices at specific times

Hi,

I've tried everything I can think of and have looked through everything I can find, but can't see how to do this. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding something simple... hopefully someone here can help.

I want to block specific devices from accessing the WIFI at specific times - eg. block Android phones between 1pm and 2pm, or block iPads after 6pm, or whatever.

Can someone tell me how to do this please?

Many thanks,

WP.

6 REPLIES 6
RyanB
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

You can accomplish this by creating a group policy.

Network Wide > Group Policies.

At the top of your policy, you can set a schedule for when it is enforced. And then subsequent firewall/traffic shaping rules within that policy.

On the Security Appliance > Addressing & VLANs, you can apply that policy to an entire VLAN.

Or on Wireless > Access Control, you can tie that policy to a device type such an Android, iPhones, etc.

Finally, the Network Wide > Clients page, you can put the policy on individual devices manually.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Group_Policies_and_Blacklisting/Creating_and_Applying_Group_Poli...

Hope this helps! Happy to help with any further questions.

Thanks for your reply Ryan, but I actually need to apply two group policies (I think - maybe there's another way to do what I want, but I can't find it)

I want to block access to Gaming, Social Media, YouTube from 3pm to 6pm, and then I want to block all WIFI access between 11pm and 8am.

I have created two separate group policies to achieve these two aims, but I can only apply one group policy to any device.

Is there some way to do this?

Thanks!

You may be able to get creative and apply these in different ways. But there is no way to apply two group policies to a user at once.

For instance, if you don't want anyone on the Wifi between those hours you could schedule the SSID to be shutoff at that time.

Thanks Ryan,

I don't really want to shut off all access to the WIFI, but I guess I'll have to either do that or choose between the two group policies.

I did have certain devices connecting to a different SSID, and I shut that off at a certain time, but of course Windows 10 shows the WIFI password in plain text, so all users are able to see the password and therefore connect to the SSID that stays active. (I've found on YouTube how to hide the WIFI password in Windows 10, but I can't get it to work correctly. Gah!)

Thanks for your help,

WP.

Kids after school time and bedtime...:)  Same situation here. We have group policies for the kids/home devices, and another policy for my home based business.

Here's a suggestion - you could have one policy to control traffic after school time applied to the appropriate clients, then have the actual wifi SSID turn off at night.  Another SSID setup for Adults, guests, etc.

abteenz
Just browsing

This can be done by products like Identity Service Engine (ISE) by Cisco.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.