Expired Licences, can't tell which networks have expired in the dashboard

StuKoalaIT
Getting noticed

Expired Licences, can't tell which networks have expired in the dashboard

I'm currently talking to support on this issue however I'm struggling to get anywhere with it and the situation is becoming a little desperate.

We started off on a per device licence model when we first started using Meraki back in 2018, it appears that was then transferred to a Co-Termination model not by us (haven't had answer from support) and then it's somehow reverted back to the per device model. The issue we have is that our MX devices which we purchased at different times of the year have now all expired on the 30th of Sept. Support won't give me any info as to why our licensing model was changed and have just stated we need to buy more licences for them. The issue is the 20 odd devices don't show which network they are assigned to on the dashboard so I don't know which MX licences have run out.

Screenshot 2022-10-19 at 15.49.29.png

To make matters worse these devices will stop working on the 30th of October as that's the end of the 'Grace Period' which for us falls during the half term holiday with no way of replacing 20 devices in schools which will effectively leave them with no internet when they come back in.

As part of the devices due to expire are 10 x MR42 AP's which we purchased with 10 Year licences, support have basically said we will need to take a hit on those licences and purchase more licences for them to keep working.

Don't get me wrong I love the whole Meraki eco system but I feel sometimes like support are not as helpful as other companies, and just saying we need to buy more licences to keep things running is fine for a large company but for a small company like ours its a real kick in the teeth. Especially as I haven't had any reasoning as to why our licensing model changed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Have you checked on the change log who change the license model?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Yeah, it doesn't go back further than Nov 21.

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Sounds strange.

It looks like pd license was introduced in 2019 not 2018 https://meraki.cisco.com/blog/2019/12/whats-new-with-meraki-licensing/

And once you convert from co-term to pd you cant go back  to co term.

At org > license info  >devices,  you should be able to see the device, network and exp date?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I don't know the answer.

Do you have any MX devices in your inventory that are not in a network?

What options do you have under the "actions" menu?  Can you associate the licence with an existing device?

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Is there anyone else in your Org who has access to change the licensing type? As mentioned your timeline doesn't fit Meraki's release of per device licensing. 

If support aren't being helpful try reaching out to your account manager. 

StuKoalaIT
Getting noticed

Thanks everyone for the help, I think I've managed to work out which devices are assigned to what network now. David from the UK licensing support team has steered me in the right direction and kindly extended the grace period until the new licences get assigned.

I'm still unsure what's happened on our Org licensing side of things though so hopefully we can get to the bottom of that at some point.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.