Devices allowed in multiple organisations

GaryShainberg
Building a reputation

Devices allowed in multiple organisations

All,

Either I a missing something of a new feature or I have discovered an interesting, but potentially worrying bug, I have just discovered a device MR30H in two different organisations that I am an MSP of.

Thinking this may be a one off, I removed it from one, assigned it to a network and then added it back to the org and the dashboard let me. Interestingly it would not let me assign it to another network through.

I then tried the same exercise with an MR72 and it also let me add the device into 2 different, un connected organisations.

Anyone else seen this ?

CTO & Solutioneer
CMNA, CMNO, ECMS2
SNSA, SNSP
~~If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it.~~
6 REPLIES 6
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@GaryShainberg  Can you share some screenshots of this? It certainly doesn;t sound normal. 

SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

Haven't seen this, and definitely doesn't sound normal. I would recommend contacting support though to report the issue.

Gjzawada
Conversationalist

That's certainly worrisome... when you say you added the device and its visible in other orgs, do you mean it was fully "claimed" and added to a network, or only that its showing as available on both orgs?  If its been claimed and you're still able to add it, I would certainly open a TAC ticket.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I have not had that experience - in fact I've had the opposite experience.  You are actively prevented from added a device to a second org.

I'm going to guess threse orgs where on different shards, and perhaps there is some replication delay allowing the device to be added to a second shard if it is done quickly enough.

I'm guessing if you add it to one org on a specific shard, wait 10 minutes, you wont be able to add it to an org on a different shard.

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

Yup, I've seen this. Devices can exist in the inventory of multiple Orgs, but only if they are not claimed into a network. I believe as soon as you claim the device it's removed from other Orgs. 

We actually have some devices that are in the inventory of up to 7 Orgs IIRC. Don't ask me how it got like that...

GaryShainberg
Building a reputation

Hi there,

Just to clarify for all, the devices would be claimed in two totally separate organisations but would only let me add it to one network.

However, for me the issue is also about security and theft, if I have devices that we are shipping from event to event or location to location, we have assumed that as long as they are in our main inventory that if they where stolen then all the thief has achieved is stealing "non functioning bricks", however if this bug persistes then if we lose kit and the thief assigns it to a network before us then they would be able to use (and claim) it and leave us with nothing.

The issue is that I could assign it to a network which would prevent this from happening, but we have more kit than licences because of our business model so this would become problematic

I can share screenshots because there is nothing to show what organisation its in on that inventory screen.

Not sure if anyone from @meraki_ is watching this thread but if everyone agree's this is not the norm, I will report it.

CTO & Solutioneer
CMNA, CMNO, ECMS2
SNSA, SNSP
~~If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it.~~
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.