Dashboard Requires Email Verification Every Time We Login

TonySmith
Here to help

Dashboard Requires Email Verification Every Time We Login

Hi,

This has started happening suddenly, every time we log into the Dashboard we need to wait for an email with verification code, then type that code into the Dashboard login page.

Does anyone know why this has started happening, and how to stop it?

I have a case open with Meraki support and they haven't yet come up with an answer

Everywhere that I have looked, or where they have asked me to look, 2FA is disabled.  In any case 2FA seems to refer only to SMS verification, not email verification which is what we're having to deal with.

Thanks, Tony S

12 REPLIES 12
MyHomeNWLab
A model citizen

The behavior of the Meraki Dashboard has recently changed.

New Dashboard Security Features - The Meraki Community
https://community.meraki.com/t5/Dashboard-Administration/New-Dashboard-Security-Features/m-p/177590/...

> Multi-Factor Authentication
> As always, we advise that you enable MFA for an extra layer of security.

Authentication Enhancements and New Dashboard Security Features - Cisco Meraki
https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Other_Topics/Authentication_Enhancements_and...

> Last updated: Dec 6, 202

Thanks.  That article refers to it only being required for "suspicious" logins, however we're finding it affects every login whether from remote locations or from our own HQ (passing through our MX).  

How does Meraki define "suspicious"?

This new behaviour is a right pain in the neck, particularly as the emails take so long to arrive, and are needed even if you log out for just a few seconds.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

alemabrahao_0-1670324145727.png

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Thanks, but this email verification is not the same as 2FA which uses SMS passcodes

It's the new Meraki MFA, I confirmed It on another organization to that I have access, so It's your case.

alemabrahao_0-1670324829373.png

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
TonySmith
Here to help

According to information just provided by Meraki support it is not so much "the new 2FA", instead it is something that they enforce for users who do NOT enable 2FA.  Meraki have also confirmed that it is enforced for every single login, contradicting their documentation which states it's only for "suspicious" logins.

So as it stands at the moment you only have the two options, either enable 2FA and use an SMS passcode, or don't enable 2FA and have to use this email passcode. 

Our dashboard just started to do this as well, very annoying and not all of out techs have a secureX account.

I don't hold out much hope, but if you raise a support case you can express your opinion.  The more people who do that the greater (but still microscopic) chance of them fine tuning this function so it works as they say it should. 

👆 Agree with Tony. Please open a case or hit the "give your feedback" button on the lower right of any dashboard page.

Thanks.  I've submitted feedback through the Dashboard as well as via the support case.

You don't have to use an SMS code.  You can use your favourite authenticator app.

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Other_Topics/Two-Factor_Authentication#Using... 

TonySmith
Here to help

It gets worse, logging today I had to deal with this as well ...

Screenshot_94.png

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.