cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client Page PC Description showing GUID / UUID

Here to help

Client Page PC Description showing GUID / UUID

I manage several different networks and have been noticing the last couple weeks that my client list is no longer using the PC name in the description field for some of the clients. It's a very small number of clients (maybe 5/100) that use GUID/UUID for "Description", but the number is definitely growing. 

I can't find anything about this using Google. When I open the Client for the in-depth stats, it shows the MAC, IP, OU/CN, all of the good stuff - but for some un-explainable reason it reverts to using this GUID for the Description field. Has anyone else seen this? Is there a way to keep this from happening? Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10
Head in the Cloud

Re: Client Page PC Description showing GUID / UUID

I've noticed this too.  I have not investigated much, but a couple I saw on one of my networks seemed related to VM's possibly.

Kind of a big deal

What type of client does it say it is?  Windows 10?  Apple?

Here to help

That's the thing, there seems to be no correlation as to why the clients start ID'ing this way. I have a few windows 10, 1-2 windows 7. Some wireless, mostly wired. They all have been on Active Directory the whole time and have previously appeared on the client list with their Computer Name, or at least MAC, as the "Description". But one day they switched to using GUID. 

It's a very small number of clients that have switched to GUID to this point, but I'm watching more closely and will keep you posted if I start seeing more. and thanks for the reply!! 

Comes here often

I've noticed the same thing on my network today as well. It is affecting 13 of 141 clients.

Comes here often

noticed the same on our network to, both windows and mac clients.

New here

Well, it turns out we are not the only company experiencing this exact same problem!

I have opened a case with Meraki Support on June 27 describing a problem where a growing number of systems had Client Descriptions switch from Device Names to GUID numbers. The original suggestion was that it was caused by mDNS traffic. I disabled mDNS protocol on clients using Group Policy and looked with Wireshark for mDNS queries but that was a dead end while the problem continues.
This happens on AD clients with a mix of Windows 10 versions (1803, 1809, 1903) , Windows 7 and even one Vizio TV. It affects now 9 out of 61 clients and growing every few days.
Clearly, the bug is with Meraki software and Meraki programmers should trace it ASAP and escalate if necessary. We cannot have portals listing systems which are basically "unidentifiable" by humans.

Lets keep this thread open and share any information / updates Meraki provides regarding resolution.

Conversationalist

FYI when submitting a case for this:

Thank you for contacting Cisco Meraki Support.

This problem has been reported. The development team is actively working on it.
I will update you as soon as possible after the development update.

CMJ
New here

I opened a case with support on August 12 and there was no acknowledgment of a known issue.  I was pointed to documentation and provided a review of how the description is populated.  This morning I passed along this thread and asked for an update.  

Oddly enough, it's only impacting some of our clients despite their use of a base image.

From what I can see, there is no rhyme or reason as to why the description shows properly or improperly.

Here to help

yeah I'm continuing to see the amount of users affected by this grow. I've resorted to changing them back to the client name manually when I have downtime and feeling motivated. The silence from Meraki is odd

Conversationalist

Hey, this is the response I received back for my support case:

The development team got back and indicated that the clients names were supposedly superseded by mDNS names if they are not manually assigned a name.  For your clients that appearing as UUID/GUIDs, have you manually assigned names to them? If not, then it is expected.

Cisco Meraki Technical Support

^ This isn't good news, looks like i'll be needing to write an API/Script to manually update GUIDs and monitor for host name changes Smiley Sad

Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.