Can only Organization Administrators add devices to the organization?

MFLauder
Here to help

Can only Organization Administrators add devices to the organization?

Hello, 

I've setup several networks and given permissions to specific teams to manage their locations cameras in Meraki but recently I've been asked to give someone who is just one of these Network administrators access to add new cameras to their location. Is this even possible? This location is buying several new cameras and would like to not go through me (Organization Admin) to have to add the cameras to their network. 

From my knowledge and research, only Organization Admins can add devices to inventory. 

Any clarification on this would be great. Thank you

3 Replies 3
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

hi @MFLauder 

You are right in your thinking.

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Managing_Dashboard_Access/Managing_Dashboard...

Summary

There are two basic types of Dashboard administrators: Organization and Network.

• Organization administrators have complete access to their organization and all its networks. This type of account is equivalent to a root or domain admin, so it is important to carefully maintain who has this level of control. Please see below for best practices regarding these accounts.
  • Network administrators have access to individual networks and their devices. These users can have complete or limited control over their network configuration, but do not have access to organization-level information (licensing, device inventory, etc).
Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

@DarrenOC Thank you. I was pretty sure after testing with a Network administrator user that they didn't have access to do this. They don't even have the Organization option.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I don't know the answer for sure - but I would hope that would be the case.

The inventory, where the new kit is first added, is under the Organization tab and I would like to hope only Organization admins could make changes under the Organization tab.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.