Cambium AP Client list not showing on Z3 Client list

bxdobs
Here to help

Cambium AP Client list not showing on Z3 Client list

Not using the Meraki Z3 Wifi due to its physical location ... instead, we have 2 APs connected: one centered inside a 2 story building (Dlink), the other outside (Cambium) ... if I go to the Meraki dashboard, I can see a list of wired and wifi connections from the Z3 and inside AP but it appears none of the clients connected to the outside AP are listed ... the outside AP is set to use the Meraki DHCP to assign IP's to either 2.4G or 5G devices ... the Z3 netmask is set to 255.255.254.0 providing up to 500 connections ... although I can get a client list from the Cambium Dashboard, would like to be able to confirm this on the Z3 Dashboard ... is there some Z3 setting that might prevent getting the client info from the Cambium? Several clients are using STATIC addressing that conflicts with existing assignments ... I have temporarily blocked these devices with an included splash screen

6 Replies 6
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

How many clients are you trying to use via a Z3, it isn't designed for more than a handful.  Having said that, on the Z3 DHCP can you reserve addresses, apologies I can't remember right now, if so then reserve them for all the static IPs in use.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

And does the Cambium AP definitely act as an L2 AP, or is it routing?  If the latter then you will see all traffic from those clients as the IP address of the AP.

bxdobs
Here to help

Cambium cnPilot is an AP with the gateway (gateway is the Z3) defined to provide DHCP service so don't think it is acting as a router ... as stated in my previous reply to you the Cambium traffic appears to be listed but perhaps the non explicit reserved settings on the Z3 were causing some of the client details to be ignored?

As I have now explicitly defined all of the STATIC devices hopefully they will now show up in the Z3 client list

bxdobs
Here to help

no apologies are required ... appreciate the feedback

Of the 507 available addresses with a 23bit mask, the Z3 DHCP has been set to have 300 unreserved addresses, 207 reserved addresses with 17 of those static

The client list is confusing because it claims there are currently 144 clients ... my confusion might be because I was expecting this list to show active clients ... instead, it is showing clients that have connected within the current filtered time; (Day, Week, Month) ... what led me to open the original question was I expected that ALL 17 of the STATIC "Active Devices" would be found in the Client List (9 of which are connected via the Cambium AP)

On closer inspection today I missed 2 that were within this 144 listed clients over the past 24 hrs. Which leads to more questions

As 8 of these 9 devices are IP cameras which are being actively polled every 5 minutes, why aren't they all showing up in the Client List ... if 2 are showing, why not all?

What I have done today is EXPLICITLY add ALL 17 of these Static Address Devices as FIXED IP ... perhaps the Z3 was ignoring these devices as they were in the Reserved IP Block and most were NOT added to the FIXED IP ASSIGNMENT list

bxdobs
Here to help

Can anyone clarify how the Z3 client list might be generated ... at a high level, expecting there may be one of two methods OR a combination of both methods ... could be other methods ... just attempting to understand my finding listed below

Method A) Router keeping track of all addresses communicating on the network

OR

Method B) Router doing something like an arp to discover what devices respond

If only Method B, could explain the following  ... due to not trusting the security of Cheap IOT devices, whenever possible, instead of configuring them with the true Gateway Address, the Gateway Address is either left blank or is the same as the Static Address assigned to the device.  Comparing device configurations appears to indicate that only devices with the correct Gateway assignment are in the Z3 client list

If this indication is true, is there a way in the Z3 to deny a device WAN access ... these devices need to function within the network but don't want them communicating externally ... Perhaps some kind of Outbound/Inbound Firewall rule?

Deny all protocols to/from IP address x?

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Any device reaching out to the router will be tracked, so if you set an incorrect gateway and have a static IP then they will likely not be seen.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.