Add LIC-ENT-1YR to 10 APs on the dashboard

Flamengo19
Conversationalist

Add LIC-ENT-1YR to 10 APs on the dashboard

Guys

I have 10 MR34 in a "NETWORK". The company acquired a LIC-ENT-1YR for these MR34. I never did this operation of adding a license.

Can someone who has experience with this procedure help me?

15 REPLIES 15
Bruce
Kind of a big deal

Are they new licenses for a network, or is this a license renewal - make sure you know this first.

Go to Organization -> License Info, then you'll see a link to Add Another License. Select whether you are adding new licenses, or renewing the Dashboard license and then enter the License Key you have, and its done.

Note: if you are renewing the Dashboard license then you need licenses for everything on the Dashboard as all licenses get removed and replaced by the one you are adding. If you are adding licenses then you'll add another 10x access point licenses to the Dashboard but you may not get 1 Year of license as the license duration will get spread across the new and any existing licenses in the Dashboard.

These are licenses for the 10 new APs. Only I added the license to the Organization.
What would be the exact procedure for adding the license for these APs?
If I did the wrong procedure, how do I undo it?

Flamengo_0-1618930453299.png

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Check out the getting started guide.  Jump down to the "Adding Devices and Licenses" section.

https://documentation.meraki.com/Getting_Started 

HI.

Recently, the XPTO company bought 10 new APs (MR36 and MR46). We also bought a LIC-ENT-1YR license for 10 devices. I would like to understand if this email below has something to do when I added the LIC-ENT-1YR license to these 13 devices?

I received this email from Meraki and I was in doubt if it has to do with adding the new AP and the license.

Would I have to confirm "convert to per-device licensing"?

Flamengo_1-1619339802904.png

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Flamengo you don't need to convert to per device licensing, the screenshot you have included just shows where you can convert if you wish to.

Personally I think per device licensing is best suited to smaller deployments or companies where the license purchase term needs to be tied to the particular asset from an accounting perspective.

Hi.

I received the email below from Meraki after I added the license. What will be the reason for the warning?

Dear Karl,

Thank you for being a valued Meraki customer. Our records show that your Meraki Cloud license is due to expire in 89 days time on July 22, 2021.

If you wish to continue using your Meraki networks, you must renew your license before it expires. Upon expiration, your Meraki networks will cease to provide network access.

Licensing information can be viewed here: xpto

To purchase additional licenses, please contact Meraki Sales or your authorized Meraki reseller. You can find contact information at meraki.cisco.com.

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @Flamengo 

Licences are applied at the Org level not Network.  So, you must have other devices in your Org that were due to expire or had expired.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Flamengo if you look at your last posted screenshot, it shows you are licensed for 1413 MRs but only have 1387 in your Organisation.  Do those numbers make sense to you?  They all are shown as expiring on July 22nd this year.

With the co-term licensing that you are one you cannot have different renewal dates fo different devices and when you buy new licenses they all add points to the central pool.

I think you don't need the 10 additional licenses you have as you already have 26 MR licenses that don't have a hardware device associated.  

You do however need to be looking at renewing the whole licensing for the Organisation, as otherwise it will all stop working soon.

It's weirds me out. Before adding the license, this message did not appear.

I send to email to support@meraki.com , for more information.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You can undo an add for a couple of weeks, there is an icon in the license history section next to the most recently added license.  You might not get back a whole year as some time has already been used.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

For co-term licencing, the licence starts ticking from the moment Meraki email it to you.

So no advantage to removing and re-adding.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@PhilipDAth this was in case it had been added in the wrong way i.e. renewal Vs extra.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>this was in case it had been added in the wrong way i.e. renewal Vs extra

My mistake - I agree with you.

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

@Flamengo, since you’re using the Co-termination licensing model you don’t need to add the licenses to individual APs - you just add the license to the organisation. The organisation as a whole has to have enough licenses to cover all the Meraki devices in all its Meraki networks. If you don’t have enough licenses to cover all the Meraki devices across the organisation then you’ll start getting warning messages, and eventually all the devices will stop working (it takes 30 days for this to happen and you’ll get masses of warnings so you won’t miss it).

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @Flamengo19 

Just to add to the great advice from @Bruce  - please take a read through the Meraki document on Licence more Devices Vs Renewals:

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Licensing/Meraki_Licensing_-_License_More_De...

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.